Yeah, I went there.
I know that by simply looking at these waffles they may not seem like anything special, but do not be fooled – these waffles are special!
Extra special with a cherry on top.
Oh man, I totally should have put a cherry on top, that would have been so cute, FUDGE. Next time for sure.
These waffles have something kind of amazing hiding inside. Something that I hope you all have amazing childhood memories of eating. Something that I love so much and will forever think of my mommy when making.
Oh heck yes.
It may not be health food by any means, but it’s really, really good. And it’s summer… all summer treats need to be REALLY good. I think that we can at least all agree on that.
You see, I did the craziest, but possibly the most genius thing ever. Ok well, maybe it’s not genius, but I like to think it’s a good idea.
I took a ball of homemade cookie dough, then I stuffed it inside brioche-like waffle dough…and then…I started making waffles with it. I wasn’t sure how it was going to work. Would the waffle iron turn the dough into a cookie? Would everything just ooze out?
Actually, a little bit of both things happened, but in turn, I still came out with one of the best waffles I have ever made.
To be clear, a little of the cookie dough does ooze out, but not much, and only if you do not completely seal the waffle dough around the cookie dough. And while the waffle iron does not really turn the cookie dough into cookies, it does melt those mini chocolate chips, which is clearly PERFECT.
Melted chocolate, but with cookie dough? Yeah, it’s good, it’s good!
Eating the waffles hot right off the iron is a very, very tempting thing, and it totally happened once…or twice. Hey my mom was over, and she sure as heck wasn’t going to hold out, so how could I?
We were testing, you know?
For a while now I have been wanting to make something involving cookie dough, but I just didn’t know what. Cookie dough has so many great memories for me, and lately when I have been feeling stressed and what not, I love thinking back upon those memories. Just being a kid, hanging with my mom and mostly likely my brothers too (I tend to fade them out) while making cookie dough. The best, right?
Somehow I came up with the idea for waffle ice cream sammies infused with chocolate chip cookie dough and just went for it. The best part was that I got to spend a little time with my mom and little sister while making them since I needed recipe taste testers…they really just wanted the sammies.
You can do one of two things with this recipe.
…One: make your waffle, put it on a plate, add a giant scoop of ice cream, a drizzle of hot fudge sauce and dig in with a fork and knife + a giant glass of ice-cold milk. <<< This is actually my favorite option.
…Two: make your waffles and let them cool slightly, add a scoop of ice cream and a little fudge sauce. Add another waffle and open BIG. This is a very messy, but deliciously fun option. <<<This is Asher’s favorite. Well, she really couldn’t get her mouth around the sammie, but eating a dessert with a knife and fork just isn’t really her thing…diving in is.
Either way, you are going to be in dessert, ice cream and waffle heaven.
Which is the best way to end a Friday and start a weekend.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Waffle and Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Servings: 12 Waffles
Calories Per Serving: 1331 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter softened/lightly melted
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup sticks butter softened, 3/4
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 -3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 6-12 waffles
- 6-12 scoops chocolate ice cream
- [warm hot fudge | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/hot-fudge-brownie-double-scooped-ice-cream-sundae-high-hat-cupcakes-cone/] optional
View Recipe Comments
- In a large mixing bowl (I like to use my stand mixer), combine the warm milk with the yeast and sugar. Allow the mixture to sit 5-10 mins or until the mix is foamy and smells like bread.
- To the bowl, add the butter and egg, mix a little to combine and then add 3 cups flour and the salt. Knead the dough using a dough hook or your hands until the dough comes together and is smooth, about 3 minutes with a mixer and 5-10 by hand. If the dough seems too sticky, add the remaining 1/2 cup flour. The dough should come together, but be slightly sticky to touch. Grease a large bowl and place the dough ball inside. Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm place for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the cookie dough: To a mixing bowl, add the butter, brown sugar, cream and vanilla. Beat until combined, should be fluffy and light in color. Beat in the flour and salt until combined. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to your iron's directions.
- Working on a floured work surface, divide the waffle dough into 12 equal balls. Flatten each ball into a circle disk and place about a tablespoon of cookie dough in the center of each. Bring the sides of the dough up and around the cookie dough and pinch the edges together to seal completely.
- Grease your waffle iron with cooking spray or melted butter and place 1 dough ball right in the center of the iron. Cook until just golden on top. You don't want to over cook the waffles or the centers will not be gooey. Repeat with the remaining waffles...or just start making ice cream sandwiches and finish later!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Take a cooked waffle and place a large scoop of chocolate ice cream on top. If desired, add hot fudge sauce. Either eat as is, with a fork + knife, or top with another waffle and make into a sandwich. EAT RIGHT AWAY!
I mean, I want. You NEED. Happy Friday INDEED. I guess I rhyme now?
These look amazing! How far in advance do you think it would be possible to prep the waffle dough? Do you think it would hold up if I made the stuffed dough balls and refrigerated them for an hour or two before cooking?
Hey Julia! I think that would work great. Hope you love these! 🙂
Wow! I can’t get enough of this idea!
Breakfast for dessert? This has my name all over it!!
Thanks Megan! Hope you had a great weekend!
Wow! Kismet it is…. I walked in with my freshly purchased waffle maker not 20 minutes ago. I think this is a sign that this MUST be made ASAP!
YES!! Hope you love these! 🙂
Mind blown yet again, Tieghan. You’re so freakin’ talented. Oh, how I wish I could have been there for this shoot to help cleanup 🙂
Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! Honestly that means so much. You are the best! Hope you are having a great weekend!!
Oh my….<3 These look SO good!!!
Thank you!! 🙂 Hope you guys are having a great weekend! Loving your gorgeous snapchats!
We are visiting our kids in Seattle and my daughter is gonna love these! We are making them for dinner tonight! Yummers!
YAY! How fun! Hope you all love these!
Yummy! Ice cream and cookie dough aside, the waffles look really yummy on their own!
What size waffle iron do you use? I have a feeling mine isn’t deep enough to manage that fluffiness nor suspend the cookie dough bits.
I use a classic round waffle iron, the one with the deeper holes. I do think you need a deeper hole for these.
Um, wow! These look beyond incredible!
Thanks so much, Claudia!
OMFG. I just had the biggest foodgasm! Waffles and ICE CREAM?!?! My lawd, I have to get a waffle machine asap and make these!!
The only word for these ice cream sammies is epic! Love the cookie dough filling, so good!
Thank you so much, Laura! I hope you have a great weekend!
How do you even think of these things, Tieghan??? This IS genius…and I’m dying right now, I want one so bad!
Haha! Thank you so much! I hope you have a great weekend!
Oh I am so happy you went there! These are IN-cred-IBLE.
Haha! Thank you so much, Linda! Have the best weekend!
I can barely even handle how crazy and incredible this sounds!!
Thanks so much, Leah! Have a fun weekend!!