Chicken Shawarma Naan Salad with Sweet Potato Fries.
So there is salad… and then there is THIS salad.
This is more of a salad/flatbread/naan situation topped with EPIC ingredients.
It’s really not even a salad, and I deliberated and deliberated for probably close to an hour on just what to call this. In the end, salad seemed most fitting, but promise it’s probably one of the best “salads” you’ll eat. I mean, it’s Monday, I would not give anything short of a KILLER recipe to you on a Monday…cause lets be honest, Monday NEEDS something delicious to help us get through to Tuesday. <–truth.
So as of late, I have become mildly obsessed with hummus, middle eastern food and basically anything I can eat with naan. Naan is my kind of bread, and anything I can eat along side it is going to be my kind of food. Middle eastern food and I are having a moment, and I am just full on embracing it.
If you follow me on snapchat and or Instagram than you got a glimpse of that this weekend. Hello mass amounts of beet hummus… and well – plenty of cookies too. 🙂
Speaking of this weekend, I have to tell you guys that while the weather was totally and completely crummy…UGH the snow. It was also very productive and um filled with delicious things. I spent some serious one on one time with my younger brother Kai (videos coming soon!), was told I was a good-looking girl…by a fifty year old man…not sure what to think about that one. I mean, I guess it’s nice, but where are my twenty-two year old guys at?? Come on brothers? You gotta get some better friends, or maybe I gotta get out… maybe both?
Both for sure.
I also learned that people who look at me every single day really notice when I actually try a little and like brush my hair, brush on a little make-up and wear clothes that are NOT covered in raw egg, flour and beet juice. I got a lot of “wow, you look pretty” this weekend. Not complaining.
Kai is headed back to LA today, back to school, so a little sad about that, BUT the good news is that he’s coming back for his spring break in a couple of weeks. I kind of wish I was headed to LA though. Is anyone else completely over the cold and ready for spring??
Clearly I am.
Evidence of my serious spring fever will be shinning through in a major way this week, and it all starts with this salad.
I am crazy about this salad. It’s basically like a Chicken Shawarma wrap, just not wrapped up. You can totally wrap this up to-go, but photographing wraps is my worst nightmare, so I went for leaving them flat…hence the whole salad thing.
If you are unfamiliar with Chicken Shawarma, it’s a simple middle eastern dish that can be made using either poultry, beef or lamb and is served in or on a pita with a savory yogurt sauce.Chicken Shawarma is a middle eastern street food and guys, it’s completely delish. The chicken gets marinated in a mix of middle eastern spices, garlic, olive oil and tons of lemon. It is tradition to roast the chicken, but I went for skewering it and grilling it. You can certainly roast it, but I personally love this on skewers. The chicken gets a nice char on the outside while staying juicy on the inside. It also cooks up a lot faster than if roasting. However, if roasting sounds more appealing to you, I would use chicken thighs and roast them whole so they don’t dry out.
Once you have your chicken marinating, the rest is pretty simple.
Here’s how it goes…
….start with fresh naan
….slather on generous amounts of hummus
….drizzle with some greek yogurt
….add toppings like: heirloom cherry tomatoes + romaine lettuce + cucumbers + fresh mint + fresh parsley
….top with sweet potato fries
….then the Chicken Shawarma skewers
….generously drizzle everything with some chipotle tahini sauce
….and finally, finish with crumbled feta…lots and lots of feta 🙂
DONE. EAT. BE HAPPY.
The sweet potato fries are an obvious MUST here. Again it’s not traditional, but let’s be real, can sweet potato fries ever not be a must? Also, never skimp on the feta, just saying.
And then yeah, that’s kind of it. Sounds pretty KILLER right?!? I mean, hey, Monday isn’t looking so rough anymore. Nope, not when this salad is involved…
Chicken Shawarma Naan Salad with Sweet Potato Fries.
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 4 fresh naan
- 8 ounces homemade or store-bought hummus
- 1-2 heads romain lettuce chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 persian cucumbers sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- fresh micro greens parsley + mint, for serving
- In a large gallon size zip-top bag, combine the ingredients for the chicken and toss to combine. Seal and chill at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt + pepper. Gently toss with your hands or two spatulas to evenly coat. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then flip and bake for 15-20 minutes more. You want the sweet potatoes to be tender, but crisp.
- Set your grill, grill pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces on skewers. Discard marinade.
- Grill chicken until lightly charred and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally throughout cooking, about 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer skewers to plate.
- To assemble the salads, spread each piece of naan with hummus. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sliced avocado, feta cheese and chicken skewers. Garnish with parsley + mint and a drizzle of the chipotle tahini (recipe below). EAT! 🙂
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add water to thin if needed. Season with salt.
OK, ok, maybe adding in a nap + cookie would really, really help to make the day go smooth. Yup, I sure do know how to do a Monday right…that’s for dang sure.