Cheesy Cajun Fries with Grilled Corn Guacamole, Bacon and Fried Eggs
Let’s just start putting drippy fried eggs on everything. K?
Oh wait, I have already been doing that.
I really don’t know why, but every other recipe I want to make I think “oh, I should put an egg on top of that”, or, “oh, I think an egg stuffed in there would be good”, or ” man, I think this would be a lot better with an egg”. Really I did not even know I liked eggs all that much until I started putting them on everything and practically begging people to let me make them an avocado egg sandwich or trying to convince my brothers that an egg on a burger is one of the best things ever. I definitely have my oldest brother on board, but he’ll eat anything I make him. The rest of um?? Yeah, not so much. They are a bunch of wimps. Ok, well wait. I forgot about Brendan. Pretty sure Brendan would eat an egg on anything I served him too, but unlike the rest of my brothers, Brendan actually likes good food. Think beans, avocados, eggs, any seafood, any fruit and most vegetables. If it tastes good he’ll eat it. Even if it is green.
Unfortunately, I am stuck with the picky brothers.
Brendan? He lives in California, or is it Nevada or maybe it is Oregon. Who’s knows, he is all over the place, but he is definitely not here in Colorado.
Let’s get serious here. Enough about my brothers and their eating habits. Let’s talk about some crispy oven fries and some grilled corn Cajun guacamole.
Yes, you read right. MORE grilled corn. I am in love with my grill right now and I am loving corn. Don’t hate me, but I can guarantee you will be seeing lots more corn in the future and probably recipes with the word grill in the tittle. What? The weather is nice and the grill adds amazing flavor, I love good grill marks.
I obviously also love my avocados, but you already knew that. So predictable.
I also love these fries. They are crispy and spicy and perfectly seasoned. Pretty much everything a fry should be. Like you will not be able to stop. They are that good. Cajun seasoning was made for fries. Made for them!
But wait it gets better.
Not only is the Cajun flavor on these fries insane (really, not messing around here), but then I went and made them all cheesy.
Cheesy, spicy Cajun fries. And I used the good stuff. The cheese that was meant to be put all over Cajun fries, the cheese that everybody wants on their salads, but they go for the light stuff cause they are trying to be “good”. Well, today is Wednesday and I just want some sharp cheddar cheese on my Cajun fries. K.
Well, next I want to top my cheesy Cajun fries with a very generous helping of smoky grilled corn Cajun guacamole. Yes, this is a full on Cajun Guacamole that is straight out of New Orléans. Fine, technically I made it here in Colorado, but you would have thought I traveled all way down to New Orléans and brought back a huge tub of the stuff. Basically, it is roughly mashed avocados with grilled corn, red and orange peppers, some Cajun seasonings and hot sauce.
It’s killer. I have been eating the leftovers (I made way to much for little old me) with my right index finger throughout the day. I call it my little “Cajun perk Tieghan up” snack. And no, I am not embarrassed about that. When you try it you’ll understand.
I know that an egg on top of fries may seem strange, but think of it as an egg on top of Nachos. Oh wait, that is probably kind of strange to you guys too. Man, what’s up with me? I like strange foods.
Ok, think of it as an egg on top of you morning hash browns. Really it’s the same thing, except I cut my potatoes into fries and roasted them in the oven to crispy perfection. Which I think is better honestly.
I have to say it again, I am in love with these fries and am so excited to share them with you! Seriously waiting the four days to tell you about them has been way to hard! I have been chomping at the bit to post these! Cause they are so good. Drippy eggs and cheesy fries are the new thing. Or at least I am making them the new thing!
Cheesy Cajun Fries with Cajun Guacamole, Bacon and Fried Eggs
- 3 pounds unpeeled russet potatoes cut into wedges or strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teasponn pepper
- 4-6 ounces freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 fried eggs optional
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon fried and crumbled (optional)
Grilled Corn Cajun Guacamole
- 3 avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 ear grilled corn
- 1 grilled red pepper
- 1 grilled orange pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning + 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon creole
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place cut potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with oil, cajun season, creole seasoning and pepper. Gently toss with your hands or two spatulas to evenly coat. Spread on a baking sheet in one layer. Roast for 25-30 minutes, then flip and roast for 25-30 minutes more. This may take longer depending on how thick you cut your potatoes. You want the potatoes to be deeply golden and crispy on the outside!
- While the potatoes are cooking make the guacamole. Preheat your grill to high heat (you can also roast the corn and peppers in the oven while the fries cook, but I prefer the grill).
- In a small bowl mix the olive oil with the cajun seasoning and rub the corn, red pepper and organe pepper with the oil. Wrap the corn in a small piece of foil and grill the corn, red pepper and orange pepper for about 25 minutes turning each veggie about three times. Remove and let cool while you mash the avocados in a medium size bowl with the remaining cajun seasoning and the creole seasoning. Slice off the corn kernels, de-seed and chop the pepper and place both in the bowl with the avocados. Add the green onions, lemon juice, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Toss well.
- When the fries are done cooking top the whole pan with the shredded cheddar cheese and place back in the oven for about five minute or until the cheese is melted or bubbly. Or you can divide the the fries between individual oven safe serving dishes and top with equal amounts of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Remove the cheesy fries from the oven and plate them. Top with with the cajun guacamole, fried eggs and crumbled bacon if desired.
Oh so good.