BBQ Grilled Corn, Jalapeño and Peach Quinoa Salad.
Please someone, I need some help.
No, not with my mental state, although some people may argue this.
And no not with my current corn, jalapeño or ice cream obsessions. No I like those just the way they are and to be honest they are probably just getting going. I am thinking they are not gonna fade till I find a new ingredient to obsess over which could be tomorrow, a week from now or months from now. Maybe in September when I will most likely flood you brains with mass amounts of apple, pumpkin, cinnamon and warm comfort foods.
But I feel it is safe to say my summer food kick is in full force. I just keep chopping fresh summer fruit and throwing it in with pretty much everything. You just wait and see.
What do I really need help with??
Yeah, I never listen to music mostly because it is too loud in my house to even hear myself think at most times. So putting music on would be adding to the noise, but this week the house is almost silent. I say almost because I have an older brother who pops in pretty frequently, to well… eat, shower and get milk for his protein shakes. See the rest of family has gone off doing yet another snowboard thing in the Mammoth, CA.
I also found out I really enjoy cooking with music on. I actually think it helps me work faster which is just awesome. Alright, that is probably all in my head. The reason I worked faster is because other than that older brother I had not one distraction the entire day. It was awesome.
Eventually though, I got a little tired of the Pandora country station. I got so board that I actually put on Bad Company because my Dad said he loved Bad Company when her was younger. Not gonna lie, some of it was pretty good, but after like five songs I was done.
So I am taking suggestions. Please help a girl out here!
Originally I was not planning on posting this today because I posted the Caprese Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms on Monday and two quinoa recipes in one week is normally not what I would like to show you guys, but this salad was way too good not share. Especially with Memorial day on Monday.
Cause honestly Memorial day is calling out this for this salad.
Plus, it can be served cold, room temperature or hot of the grill!
Personally I like it when the quinoa is still warm and the veggies are hot off the grill. You know, where the heat from the veggies just slightly melt the cheese. I am all about melty cheese! Oh and then there is the crisp, cold, sweet peach!
When I saw those in the store I just about died! Peaches and nectarines are one of my favorite summer time fruits and I could not believe I saw peaches so early. Obviously I had to buy them, unfortunately for a ridiculous price!
I guess they are not quite in season yet, hence the ridiculous price, but they are good!
Oh and the cheese? The cheese adds awesome cheeseyness which is a must for any cookout!
BBQ Grilled Corn, Jalapeño and Peach Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ears corn husked
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 peaches chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved or quartered
- 3/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup of [your favorite BBQ sauce | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/homemade-barbecue-sauce-just-like-sweet-baby-rays/]
- 1/8 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to directions, which will most likely call for 1 cup of liquid.
- While the quinoa is cooking preheat the grill to the highest setting.
- Combine the olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Shuck corn ears and brush each with the seasoned olive oil. Wrap each in a square of aluminum foil, just so there is one layer covering the corn. Brush the jalapeno peppers with the seasoned olive oil. Grill for about 5 minutes each “side”. Rotating the corn 4-5 times and the jalapeno peppers 2 times during grilling. I grilled the corn for a total of 20 minutes and I took the peppers off the grill after the first 15 minutes.
- While the corn and peppers are grilling make the dressing. Combine the BBQ sauce, greek yogurt, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine, taste and ajust seasonings. Set aside until ready to use.
- Remove the peppers from the grill, when the corn is ready remove them as well. Allow the vegetables to cool 5 minutes. While the corn and jalapeno peppers cool add the quinoa to a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of the dressing.
- Slice the jalopeno peppers and if desired remove the seeds. Using a knife cut the corn away from the cob and place both the jalapeno peppers and the corn in the bowl with the quinoa. Add the chopped peach, tomatoes and cubed cheddar cheese. Toss well. Serve with any remaing dressing and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Summer foods are pretty much just ruling my life these day. YES!