Cajun BBQ Cheddar Chicken Fingers.
You guys, I am such a mess.
Yesterday before I got in the shower I glanced in the mirror and just kind of laughed at myself. I mean I had food all over my clothes, my face and in my hair. You name it and I probably had it on me. Chocolate, ice cream, BBQ sauce, greek yogurt, ketchup, strawberry stains, smudged avocado, really I could go on and on.
Oh and I almost forgot the flour in my hair that makes me look like I am getting gray hair at nineteen. Oh wait, was it flour or powdered sugar. I can’t remember, it might have been both or actually come to think of it, I think it was baking soda.
Yup, it was baking soda. I had a little accident that involved a five-pound bag of baking soda. It dropped and pretty much just went everywhere. I guess I did not do such a good job of shaking it all out cause like I said, it looked like I was getting gray hairs.
Here’s the deal. I basically run around the kitchen like a crazy person all day and use my clothes as napkins. Sometimes I will be standing right next to the sink and I’ll still just wipe that little bit of peanut butter across my butt and that teaspoon of chocolate down my back.
Honestly, it is ridiculous. By the end of the day I look like a four-year who raided the kitchen and got into every last ingredient.
And no, I am not the only one in the kitchen all day. There are people coming in and out at all times. People I know, family and friends, and then sometimes people I am just meeting for the first time. Yes, it can be embarrassing. Especially when there is something smeared across my face or hardened chocolate stuck in my eyebrows.
I think I should wear an apron.
I feel funny wearing aprons though, I guess I just like completely ruining my clothes. Which brings me to these chicken fingers. The day I made these I manage to swipe the killer Cajun BBQ sauce all over the back of my shirt and across my chest. Really I have no idea how this happened, but I looked like I rolled in the stuff.
I mean it’s really, really good, crazy good actually. It is sweet and spicy with an awesome Cajun kick!
I would have preferred to have it in my mouth, not all over me.
They make you feel like a kid again. Remember those days when you starve yourself playing in the pool all day and then run to the snack bar for some chicken fingers, ketchup and fries. Yeah, that was a good summer day.
These chicken finger are nothing like the ones I used to get when I was ten. Nope for one, these are baked (remember, I hate frying) and two, they’re rolled in Cajun BBQ sauce and then breaded with crunchy corn flakes and grated cheddar cheese.
Ah huh, I am serious.
You guys, these are hands down the best chicken fingers I have ever had.
They smell incredible and oh my gosh the Cajun BBQ is out of this world!! It is so good and the cheddar cheese compliments the flavors so well. Plus, everything is better with a little cheese!
The BBQ sauce takes ten minutes, breading the chicken takes ten minutes and then you cook um for fifteen minutes.
Done. Easy peasy meal. I love easy peasy meals, especially ones that make you feel like your ten again!
Cajun BBQ Cheddar Chicken Fingers
Cajun BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cups corn flakes crushed into fine crumbs
- 1/2 cup cheese its or gold fish crushed into fine crumbs
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a small sauce pot combine the beer, water, ketchup, brown sugar, cajun seasoning, creole seasoning, pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray or brush it with the olive oil.
- In a bowl combine the buttermilk and 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the cajun BBQ sauce (save the rest for dipping the chicken fingers in later), add the chicken and toss well.
- Pulse the corn flakes and cheddar crackers in the bowl of a food processor or add to a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet. Add the crumbs to a large bowl and add in the panko bread crumbs, flour, cheddar cheese, cajun and creole seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been used. Make sure not to crowd your pan, if necessary use two baking sheets. Spray each chicken tender with non-stick spray or a mist of olive oil.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then gently flip using kitchen tongs and spray the other side. Bake for 10-12 minutes more, then remove from oven and serve with the remaining Cajun BBQ sauce.
Cause being ten is awesome!