Weeknight style cheesy baked Spicy Buffalo White Chicken Chili Tacos. Topped with all the toppings! Because loaded tacos are just better. Ground chicken seasoned with a homemade “ranch” seasoning mix, spicy buffalo sauce, and salsa verde. The meat is stuffed into hard shell tacos, topped with cheese, and oven-baked – because we love a crispy, crunchy taco! Serve each taco with a creamy cilantro lime ranch sauce, and a mix of your favorite taco toppings. They come together in minutes and are so delicious.
Well, these might just be my new favorite taco, and my family’s too. So ummy, as little Mr. Oslo would say!
I think by now you all know just how much my family loves tacos. We grew up eating my dad’s baked tacos weekly. And now, I’ve pretty much carried on that tradition with my younger siblings. Only I love to switch up my flavors!
To be honest, I made these last week just because I wanted tacos and was hoping to make a quick meal. Nothing fancy at all. I had ground chicken in the fridge, so I thought I would do a simple buffalo chicken taco.
I started throwing things in. Before I knew it, I had what I’m now calling spicy buffalo white chicken chili tacos.
A mix of buffalo sauce and salsa verde. Very similar in flavor to my recent Spicy Buffalo White Chicken Chili! If you’ve enjoyed that chili, you may love these tacos even more!
Here are details
Start with the taco meat. This comes together in minutes. Use ground chicken and cook it with an onion and a mix of dried herbs: parsley, chives, and dill. Then add garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. This is the “ranch” seasoning blend.
When the meat is cooked, add the buffalo sauce and salsa verde. Then just cook until the sauces coat the chicken.
Now for the shells. Instead of using store-bought taco shells, I like to take corn tortillas. I stuff them with the taco meat plus cheese and oven-bake them until crispy. I rub each tortilla with olive oil and then flip them halfway through cooking. This is key to getting the tacos extra crispy on both sides.
If you have a couple of extra minutes, I recommend making your own shells. They’re always preferred over store-bought for any kind of taco I serve!
While the tacos are baking, I prep the toppings. A cilantro ranch, candied jalapeños, lettuce, and lots of green onions. Oh, and extra buffalo sauce too!
For the ranch, I used fresh cilantro and plenty of lime in place of the usual herb mix. I also stirred in some pickled jalapeños for a spicy, tangy kick. This is the perfect sauce to dollop onto each cheesy, crunchy taco.
Crispy shells and taco meat that’s extra saucy with just the right amount of spice and flavor!
So fast and easy, but still so yummy! A great weeknight taco, that’s totally fresh and new! Nothing boring over here!
Looking for more simple Mexican recipes? Here are a few favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Spicy Buffalo White Chicken Chili Tacos, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Spicy Buffalo White Chicken Chili Tacos
Calories Per Serving: 433 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 12 hard shell tacos (see notes for homemade option)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F.2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, chicken, and onion over medium heat. Cook the meat, breaking it up as it cooks, until the chicken is browned, about 5 minutes. Add the poblano pepper, parsley, chives, dill, garlic powder, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Add 1/3 cup water. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly around the chicken, 5 minutes. Stir in the buffalo sauce and salsa verde. Cook until most of the sauce coats the chicken, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. 3. Line the taco shells up on a sheet pan or in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Transfer to the oven and bake 5 minutes. Evenly divide the meat among each taco shell and top with cheese. Bake 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.4. Meanwhile, make the "ranch". Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until creamy. 5. Serve the tacos topped with the ranch, avocado, candied jalapeños, and any other desired toppings.
View Recipe Comments
For Easy Homemade Hard Shells: Warm 8-12 corn tortillas for 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave, until pliable. On a baking sheet, rub the tortillas with olive oil. Lay each flat and then layer evenly with cheese and chicken. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling, gently pushing to adhere (see above photo). Transfer to the oven and bake for 5-8 minutes, then flip and cook another 5 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are crisp.