Welcoming the week with these Broccoli Cheddar Melts.
Watch the How To Video Here:
Because sometimes Monday’s need cheese and carbs. The good news is, there’s also a whole lot of broccoli happening in this melt, so we can basically just go ahead and call this health food. Right. Right.
Either way you look at it, you need this sandwich to start your week off right. Just trust me on this.
A few things. I’m going to be honest here, I’m not ready for Monday…at all. Is anyone else with me or what? My brain already feels a little tired after a weekend full of work, work, and more work. It was all good things, but I’m ready for another weekend, so there’s that.
Plus this week is going to be PACKED, we have so much happening. My mom’s side of the family is visiting from Cleveland. They are coming in to watch Red at the Burton US Open in Vail. My parent’s house is going to be so full it’s insane, my mom has beds in every little corner. It’s like that book The Mitten up at their house, she’s always taking more in!
We also have Christina, one of our amazing designers from Park and Oak, coming in to go over studio barn details. It’s busy, but also exciting. Loving it and feeling grateful for all the work and also all the family. My brothers are home, the girlfriends are here, the friends are here (and requesting this blackberry smash, which I made a pitcher of on Saturday along with these Pierogies), and it’s crazy and chaotic.
Sounds about right for here.
Also, I did not watch the Oscars last night, did you? Were they great? Was there drama? Who was best dressed? Do I need to procrastinate for thirty minutes and google the Oscars 2018?! Let me know.
All the craziness has left me searching for those recipes that literally just take minutes to make and use ingredients that I already have on hand. Enter these melts…or grilled cheese? I’m not really sure what the difference is, but I was feeling the word melt today, so I went with it.
These broccoli cheddar melts are possibly one of the simplest meals, but then also the best. I mean, what could you not love about extra cheesy broccoli, sandwiched between two pieces of buttered bread? It’s pretty much perfect. Assuming you like broccoli, which I’ve personally loved since I was a kid, but then I was a weird kid.
Oddly the inspiration for these melts was St. Patrick’s Day, but really the only Irish thing about them is the use of some good quality Irish cheddar and the hints of green color…
Here’s how this goes. You need really good bread that you personally love. That’s super important. I’m not sure if you can tell from the photos or not, but my bread was actually a really good seeded, whole grain loaf (just picked it up from Whole Foods, so nothing too fancy). It looks a little browned in the photos, but it’s actually PERFECT. Normally with grilled cheese type sandwiches, I’m all about a good white bread that’s softer, but this sandwich is different. I loved the heartier bread with the extra cheesy broccoli. It gave the melt a really nice texture, and you know, made it a little healthier too. Again, whole grain bread, broccoli…health food.
I seasoned the broccoli pretty simply, with fresh chives, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes, then layered it with sharp cheddar and provolone cheese. You can really use any combo of cheese you love, but broccoli and cheddar is it for me. It reminds me of Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup, which I adored as a kid.
Put the sandwiches in a skillet with a little butter, and cook until the bread is golden and the cheese has melted.
DONE. Lunch or dinner in under twenty minutes. Plus you have your whole grains, your greens, and even some protein from the cheese.
Come one, I’d say it’s at least healthy…ish? Yup, going with it.
Broccoli Cheddar Melts
Servings: 4 servings
Calories Per Serving: 774 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- kosher salt and crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 slices sourdough or whole grain bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- micro herbs and honey, for serving (optional)
View Recipe Comments
- 1. In a bowl, combine the broccoli, olive oil, chives, garlic powder, lemon zest, and a pinch each of salt and crushed red pepper flakes. 2. Spread the outside of each slice of bread with butter. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, evenly layer the cheeses and broccoli, topping the broccoli layer with a slight sprinkle of cheese. Add the top piece of bread, buttered side facing up.3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a pat of butter.
4. Place the sandwiches, one at a time, into the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side. Serve topped with greens and honey, if desired.
PS. these also fit for meatless Monday too. Cool.