Crockpot Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Chicken, a cozier weeknight, slow cooker meal. This comforting chicken and broccoli is tossed in a creamy, spicy salsa verde white cheddar cheese sauce, then finished with a golden garlic thyme butter, so delish. It’s the perfect hearty and delicious meal to come home to at the end of a busy day. And what’s even better is just how easy it is to prepare!
And just like that, the crockpot recipes are slowly returning for the season ahead. To say that I’m excited would be an understatement. It’s not that I’m ready for chilly fall days, but I am ready to celebrate and share all of my favorite things. Baked apple recipes, dishes made with pumpkin, cozy stews and chilis, fresh bread, and warming cocktails.
As we enter into September this year, I have so much excitement. There’s so much to look forward to in the autumn months.
And the one thing I think we all know I love is creating easy, cozy dinners that we can all really enjoy.
At this point, I have more broccoli cheddar recipes in my toolbox than most need, but they’re all so yummy. My very favorite is a good bowl of broccoli cheddar soup. But I love my broccoli cheddar chicken noodle casserole, broccoli cheddar chicken and rice casserole and we can’t forget creamy one pot broccoli cheddar orzo.
Yes, I love this combination. But this is my first recipe for the crockpot, and I think you’ll really love it. This is the creamiest chicken, and it’s topped with a little garlic butter to make it that much more delicious.
Here are the details
Step 1: layer the chicken
Working in the bowl of your crockpot, layer the onion, chicken, and seasonings. Pour over the salsa verde, then add some water.
Now cover the crockpot and let the chicken cook. I usually cook 1-2 hours on high or 3 to 4 hours on low.
Step 2: make the chicken creamy
Once the chicken is cooked, mix in a bit of milk or cream, a block of cream cheese, a couple of handfuls of cheddar cheese, then lots of fresh broccoli.
Now let this cook on high for 10 or 15 minutes. Just until the sauce is very creamy and the cheese has melted.
Step 3: brown the butter
Brown the butter in a small skillet with garlic and thyme. The goal is to get the butter to a nice golden color and the thyme crispy. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
This is “extra” and while you don’t need it, it makes every bite of this dish that much yummier. So I of course recommend it.
I love to serve the chicken, broccoli, and sauce over rice or creamy polenta. And then drizzle that golden butter on top.
Once you plate this, I recommend adding fresh basil on top and some crusty bread on the side. The bread is perfect for scooping up all that extra creamy sauce.
Looking for other easy weeknight night dinners?? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Crockpot Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Chicken, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Crockpot Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Chicken.
Calories Per Serving: 612 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3-4 cups chopped broccoli
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- fresh basil for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. In the bowl of your slow cooker, layer the onion and then the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salsa verde and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1-2 hours.2. Crank the heat on the slow cooker to high. Stir in the milk, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Add the broccoli. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is creamy.3. Melt together the butter, garlic, and thyme leaves in a small skillet set over medium heat. Cook until the butter is browning and the thyme is crisp, 4 minutes.4. Serve the chicken, broccoli, and sauce topped with brown butter and fresh basil. Enjoy!
- 1. In the bowl of your Instant Pot, layer the onion and then the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salsa verde and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.2. Once done cooking, release the steam. Set the Instant Pot to sauté. Stir in the milk, cream cheese, and cheddar. Add the broccoli. Cook 6-8 minutes, until the sauce is creamy.3. Melt together the butter, garlic, and thyme leaves in a small skillet set over medium heat. Cook until the butter is browning and the thyme is crisp, 4 minutes.4. Serve the chicken, broccoli, and sauce topped with brown butter and fresh basil. Enjoy!