Beer Braised Chicken Pot Pie.
With beer bread biscuits and all the cheddar cheese!
Because it’s fall, and comfort food is a must.
So I’ve spent the last three days working on some new videos for you guys, and in preparation for these videos I had to look back through some older content on the blog. And when I say old, I mean old! A couple of week ago I stumbled on this recipe from way back in the day. It honestly pains me to look at those photos, BUT when I remembered back to the recipe, I couldn’t help but think, “man, I really need to bring this recipe back to life somehow because it’s like, SO GOOD”.
Enter this Beer Braised Chicken Pot Pie. It’s the same beer braised chicken, BUT with cheesy beer bread biscuits on top. Yes, yes, yes! I mean, saucy chicken is good, but saucy chicken with buttery beer bread biscuits… a million times better! <–like for real.
I hope I’m not boring you guys with all my cozy eats, but I really just cannot help it. With all of the chilly nights we’ve been having, it’s all I am craving…just crossing my fingers that you guys are feeling the same way because there are more cozy eats to come.
When I was making this dish the other week, I was other in the middle of making a million other things as well, but I cannot lie, this was totally what I was most excited about.
Okok, AND maybe I was also overly excited because this happened to be the day I found out that the Gilmore Girls A Year in The Life is going to be premiering on Netflix November 25th…aka black Friday!! Meaning the perfect day of the year to chill on the couch and binge watch all four ninety minute episodes. Please tell me that I have some Gilmore Girl fans out there that will be doing the same??
I already have plans to have basically a second Thanksgiving, only Gilmore Girls style. Meaning coffee, doughnuts, pop tarts (homemade of course!), tacos, pizza and um, ok all the Christmas cookies and hot chocolate too…obviously.
Can you say world’s biggest dork or what? Whatever. Don’t even care. I am pumped. ?
Wait, do you think this is something Lorelai and Rory would eat? I dunno, it feels kind of put together for them? But maybe not cause, chicken + beer + biscuits seems pretty Lorelai Gilmore, no?
Anyway, not sure how I got so off topic there…let’s get back to this pot pie!
So here’s the run-down for this beer braised chicken pot pie. It all starts off with that braised chicken, cooked in pumpkin beer with onions, bell peppers and andouille sausage and then finished with the simplest, most delicious beer bread biscuit topping. Oh, and a little cheese too, you know, for good measure! Then just bake and eat! Pretty simple, but so good. The secret here is the pumpkin beer and andouille sausage, these both add so much flavor and the sausage adds a nice smoky kick! If you’re not a fan of pumpkin beer, use your favorite variety, and if you don’t drink beer, use chicken broth.
From start to finish you can make this all in one pot if you choose, just make sure to start cooking everything in an oven safe pot. If you don’t have an oven safe pot, just transfer the braised chicken to a baking dish and top with biscuits.
Oh, and did I mention this is kind of a crowd pleaser? Cause it is!
Do you remember over the weekend how my brother Red had that snowboard movie premiere in Aspen? Yeah, well that meant my parents house was full, which meant I was cooking, which meant this was dinner. HUGE hit, no leftovers in site.
Beer Braised Chicken Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 red peppers chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) pumpkin beer , or your favortie beer
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs I used chicken breasts
- 2 andouille sausage links quartered
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce0 can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream with 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons butter grated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup pumpkin beer
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a medium pot (preferably oven safe) over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 10 minutes. Add the bell pepper, chili powder, paprika, thyme and cayenne and season with salt + pepper and cook another 5 minutes. Pour in the beer. Add the chicken, sausage, tomatoes and green chilies, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and simmer 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Shred the chicken with two forks, leave to simmer.
- Whisk together the heavy cream and cornstarch and stir into the chicken. Simmer 5 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder and butter in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Add the honey and beer and mix until just combined. Fold in the cheddar.
- Remove the chicken from the heat. If not already in an oven safe dish, then transfer to one. Drop 2 tablespoons of biscuit dough over top the chicken. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes. Eat!
Wednesday meet your new favorite pot pie. 🙂