Banana Cream Pie…with Chocolate and Peanuts!
Oh, well heyyy Friday!!
I am so happy you came!! Although, I can’t believe how fast you arrived (it was a busy week), but hey, no complaining here!
So I’m feeling very on point and straight forward today. I really just want to tell you about this banana cream pie and how epic it is. My dad told me it’s his favorite dessert of the moment. But the guy really loves the combo of chocolate, peanuts and bananas, so I kind of knew this would be his thing before he even tried it.
Traditionally banana cream pie has either a flaky buttery crust or a graham cracker crust. You guys know I’m all about switching it up, so I decided to go with a chocolate peanut crust. I know, I know, typical ….me and my chocolate… or in this case, chocolate paired with peanuts.
Always the best. 🙂
The pie starts with a simple chocolate cookie crumb crust, which then that gets filled with the BEST vanilla pudding. I can’t believe how easy it is to create such a yummy pudding, I mean, egg yolks, cream and vanilla beans… magic ingredients.
After you add the vanilla pudding to the crust you’ll want to let it chill until firm, about two to four hours. Not gonna lie though, I took mine out after an hour and it was good enough for me. I really just do not have the patience to wait four hours for something to chill.
Like I just can’t.
ANYWAY, once the pie has chilled comes the super fun part.
All the toppings! YESSSS.
Toppings = LIFE.
Okay, so here’s how it goes. Layer on a whole bunch of sliced bananas. Like a whole bunch, I mean, this is a banana cream pie guys!
Next, whip up a good amount of cream and stir in melted chocolate. This creates a kind of instant chocolate mousse. YUM. Next spread a dollop of that chocolate mousse right on top of the bananas. Then chop up lots of roasted peanuts and melt together some chocolate and coconut oil to create a “magic shell”. Drizzle the “magic shell” over the pie and then quickly sprinkle on those peanuts. The shell will begin to harden.
Next take the remaining whipped cream and layer it over the “magic shell”. Oh man, this is getting too good.
Finish it up with a few more peanuts and slices of banana.
And then ummm??
Banana Cream Pie...with Chocolate and Peanut!
- 6 ounces chocolate wafers about 28 cookies
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate melted + cooled
- 2-3 firm but ripe bananas, sliced
- chopped peanuts
Chocolate Shell (optional)
- 3.5 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add the chocolate wafers, peanuts, melted butter and honey to a food processor pulse until finely ground and well combined.
- Pat mixture into a 9-inch pie dish, pressing firmly into the bottom and up the sides.
Cream Pie Filling
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Add the egg yolks and whisk until smooth. Pour in the milk and whisk until fully combined. Add the vanilla bean seeds. Set the pan over medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a low boil. Cook, stirring consistently until the mixture thickens and is pudding like, about 8 minutes. Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Spoon the pudding into the prepared pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill at least 4 hours.
- Whip the cream using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Scoop out 1/3 of the whipped cream and place in a separate bowl. To the remaining 2/3 whipped cream, add the melted chocolate and gently mix until the chocolate is fully incorporated into the cream.
- Remove the pie from the fridge and add the sliced bananas. Add the chocolate cream in a single layer and then add the final dollop of whipped cream. If desired, drizzle with the chocolate shell (see below) and finish with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts. Slice and serve!!
Chocolate Shell (optional)
- melt together the chocolate and coconut oil until smooth and combined. Let cool 10 minutes and then drizzle over the pie.
Yup, Friday I love you. Especially when you involve pie. 🙂
PS. this may be one of my most on topic posts ever. Whooa Friday, you have me like crazy focused and in GO GO GO mode… until I crash tonight with my giant slice of pie. Hehe.
PSS. I am planning more videos for you guys and I would love to know if there are any recipes you would love to see me make?? Recipes already on the site and new ones!! Let me know in the comments!!! ?