Arugula Tomato Cheese Pizza…the perfect pizza, simple to make, yet so delicious! Fresh pizza dough topped with roasted cherry tomato sauce, basil pesto, a blend of Italian cheese, prosciutto, and topped with so much parmasan tossed fresh garden arugula. The key to this pizza is to bake it on a sheet pan at a high temp until the crust becomes just a little crisp and the cheese is melty. As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, top it with fresh arugula tossed with parmesan cheese. Trust me, every last bite of this pizza is delicious and will leave you wanting more. It’s the perfect mix of summer flavors that everyone will love.
Happy Monday everyone! I’m finally back home from Alaska and settling back into life with internet again. As some of you probably noticed we were not able to get the usual Sunday Favorites post up yesterday. I had almost no internet our entire Alaska trip. So…expect a big Sunday post this week to make up for the absence. I’m really excited to share all the photos and details with you guys. It sure was quiite an adventure!
On to Monday, which we’re making it a little bit better with some cheesy pizza. Funny enough, was inspired not by alaska, but by my Mexico trip a few weeks ago.
It’s a simple arugula pizza, but don’t let that fool you. Even though it seems simple, it’s currently one of my favorite pizzas.
The inspiration came from Flora Farms in Cabo. Where they serve several types of pizza, but the arugula pizza came highly recommended. We ended up ordering a few different pizzas for the table. But we all agreed, the arugula was the best on the table.
When I got home, I knew I had to recreate it. Especially since we have a ton of baby arugula growing in the garden that’s so flavorful and delicious.
The arugula on top of the pizza is tossed very simply with olive oil and parmesan cheese. This allows the flavors of the arugula to really shine through.
Here are the details – let’s make pizza
Before you start prepping the pizza dough, make the tomato sauce. Since it’s summertime and tomatoes are in season I made a quick cherry tomato sauce. I used fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, thyme and oregano…delicious!
Throw the tomatoes into a skillet and cook them until they burst and become saucy. Then smash them down with a fork to create a quick but super flavorful sauce.
Once the tomatoes are cooked, roll out the dough, and assemble the pizza. For the dough, I used a homemade pizza dough, but store-bought is great too. Just make sure the dough is at room temperature before you roll it out.
Assemble and bake
Push the dough out onto the baking sheet, add the sauce, the cheeses, and the prosciutto (only if you enjoy prosciutto, which we do). Bake in the upper position of the oven, and in less than fifteen minutes you’ll have amazing pizza.
And…your kitchen will smell incredible. It might be crazy hot, but I promise, this pizza is worth it!
And most importantly, you’ll have a delicious pizza to enjoy for dinner.
While the pizza bakes, toss together the fresh baby arugula with the parmesan cheese. As soon as the pizza comes out of the oven, arrange the arugula on top with a handful of fresh basil. Then simply slice and eat!
Eat the pizza hot, preferably on a summer night, with your favorite drink in hand, with your favorite people. Because everyone likes a good slice of cheese pizza with friends!
Looking for other summer pizzas? Here are a few of my go-to’s.
Lastly, if you make this Arugula Tomato Cheese Pizza, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Arugula Tomato Cheese Pizza
Calories Per Serving: 432 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese
- 2-3 ounces prosciutto
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
View Recipe Comments
- 1. In a large skillet set over medium heat, toss together the olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook until the tomatoes begin to pop, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and smash the tomatoes down with a fork. 2. Position the oven rack in the upper 1/3 portion of your oven. Preheat the oven to 500° F. for at least 30 minutes before baking, preferably 1-2 hours ahead. If you have a baking stone, start preheating it.3. On a lightly floured surface, push/roll the pizza dough out until it is pretty thin (about a 12-14 inch circle). Place the pizza dough on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Spread the tomatoes and pesto over the dough. Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and add the prosciutto. 4. Slide into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pizza, and bake another 3-5 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Meanwhile, toss together the arugula, olive oil, parmesan, salt, and pepper. Top the pizza with arugula and basil.