Public announcement: GIVEAWAY below…be sure to check it out…it’s a fun one!
If we could have Sunday brunch together, this is what I would be serving.
This dish is winter meets spring, with eggs slow cooked in tomatoes, artichokes, and cheese! Then topped with fresh greens and served alongside crusty bread. Honestly, nothing better.
Sometimes I feel like we all just need a little reminder about the beauty of simplicity…aka simple ingredients and a simple cooking method. Molly Gilbert’s new cookbook One Pan & DONE has reminded me of that. When her cookbook arrived on my doorstep the other day, I did a little jump for joy. I mean, the title alone had me very excited, healthy ONE pan & DONE. Yes, yes, yes! Sounds like my kind of cooking! Just like the title suggests, all of the recipes in Molly’s book require just one pan. It could be a skillet, sheet pan, muffin pan, cake pan, or even a dutch oven, but all of the recipes require only one pan. Meaning easy cooking and very minimal clean up. Yup, I’m sold.
Shakshuka is my go-to, fast and easy meal…breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, this dish will always please. When I saw the recipe for artichoke Shakshuka, I knew I had to make it. If I could, I’d add some form of eggs to just about every savory meal. Fried, hard-boiled, soft-boiled, poached, over-easy, I love them all. Shakshuka is a traditional Middle Eastern dish consisting of eggs baked in a spicy red pepper and tomato sauce. Molly’s version uses artichokes, which I absolutely love, and it makes this easy one pan meal perfect for entertaining, especially as we enter into spring! As I mentioned this is a great breakfast and brunch recipe, but it serves equally well as a quick cooking family style dinner…or in my case solo dinner with leftovers for breakfast…cool, cool.
SO. Well I am so very excited to be sharing this recipe with you all today, I am also thrilled to be giving away a copy of One Pan and DONE and a Staub pot (which are my favorite kitchen item)!! Yes, yes, yes! One of you guys will be sent your very own copy and a pot for cooking all the recipes. 🙂
GIVEAWAY has ENDED.
To Enter: leave a comment at the bottom of this blog post telling me your very favorite one pan dinner from your line-up of everyday recipes. I’m dying for new ideas, so I can’t wait to hear what you guys are cooking up using just ONE pan. The giveaway will end exactly one week from today on Saturday March 18th, giving you plenty of time to enter!
In the meantime, I really hope you’re all able to try out this delicious Shakshuka recipe. It’s the perfect weekend brunch…and it’s totally Instagram worthy as well!
By Molly Gilbert
Course: Breakfast, Brunch
Keyword: easy brunch, eggs
Reprinted with permission from One Pan & DONE by Molly Gilbert.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 6 to 8 large eggs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. with rack in center.
2. Heat olive oil in a 10 inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add onion and bell pepper and sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add marinara sauce and artichoke hearts. Crack eggs into sauce and sprinkle with generous pinches of salt and pepper. Sprinkle crumbled feta or goat cheese over pan.
3. Transfer pan to oven and bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still slightly runny, 15 to 20 minutes. Scatter parsley over top before serving warm from skillet, family-style.
ps. serving up a side of homemade naan is highly recommended.