20 Minute Caribbean Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa.
20 Minute Caribbean Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa Verde.
The longest recipe title, for the easiest recipe. So typical me.
So you guys, I fully know that recipe title is long, but I could not leave anything out. I mean, everything is just SO GOOD. Honestly, these are currently my favorite taco. Everything about them I love so much. The flavors, the colors, the textures, everything.
These are the BEST.
So good that I should really consider ending the post now and just tell you all to go make tacos, because these need to happen in your kitchen as soon as humanly possible. Obviously, I realize most of you might not be able to jump up right this second and make shrimp tacos, but if you can, you should.
And for those of you who can’t, two things. One, prepare for my rambles because I have things to say. And two, grab a pen and paper. You’ll need to make your grocery list so you can stop at the store to grab anything you don’t have. Remember, you need to have these shrimp tacos tonight!
Every winter season, like clockwork, the tropical food bug hits me. I literally crave all things tropical…warm sunshine, blue waters, pineapples, mangos, seafood, coconut, mojitos, etc. Last year I made this Spicy Brown Rice Seared Tuna Roll Bowl, and these Po Boys with Avocado Mango Slaw, and this Glowing Citrus Blackened Salmon Salad, basically all dishes you’d enjoy on a tropical beach vacation in the Caribbean.
Sounds pretty nice, right?
Sadly, I have zero plans of traveling anywhere tropical this year, and instead am traveling to a very cold, snowy climate. Not complaining at all, South Korea will be amazing, and I will get to watch my brother compete in the Olympics. But you know, a girl can dream…
Since I’m not headed to the Caribbean anytime soon, I thought I’d brighten up our eats and make a fun Caribbean inspired recipe.
Enter these tacos. AKA the best tacos.
At first today’s recipe started out as more of a curry, but things took a turn for the worst when it came to the photos, so I threw in the towel and made these delicious tacos instead.
For once, I am not sad at all about having a photo fail, because it led to me changing things up and making one of my favorite recipes of the month. These tacos are spicy, sweet, and served up with a delicious roasted tomatillo salsa, made with both pineapple AND mango. Double the tropical fruit (it’s my favorite!), because why the heck not. It works and it’s so delicious.
Both the shrimp and the ingredients for the salsa are roasted on the same sheet pan, making this a one sheet pan and done kind of recipe. Since shrimp is so quick cooking, I had these tacos made and ready for eating in just about twenty minutes.
YES. Twenty minutes.
I know the ingredient list looks a little long, but many of them are spices that I’m hoping you guys have in your pantry at all times. I thought about just buying a Caribbean jerk seasoning blend, but for me, using dry spices that I always have on hand is so much easier. Plus, they’re tastier and healthier, since I’m controlling the ingredients.
While the shrimp has more classic Caribbean flavors with plenty of all-spice, chiles, and thyme, I went a little more Mexican with the salsa by using up the tomatillos I had sitting on my kitchen counter. I love the roasted flavor they add along with the heat from the jalapeño. I also threw in some fresh lime and orange juice for a citrus kick, which pairs so well with the pineapple and mango.
Finish the tacos off with some avocado and you’ll have the perfect, extra tropical dinner.
And now you see why you need these tacos tonight, right?
It might be single digits and snowing outside right now, but hey, at least I have these tacos to keep things fun and tropical inside.
20 Minute Caribbean Shrimp Tacos with Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa Verde
Spicy + sweet, served with a delicious roasted tomatillo salsa...made with both pineapple AND mango. All cooked on one sheet pan and ready in 20 mins!
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- kosher salt and pepper
- corn or flour tortillas
- sliced avocado, lettuce, or cabbage, for serving
Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa Verde
- 4 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic, skin on
- juice of 1 lime
- juice from half an orange
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup diced mango
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. On a baking sheet, toss together the shrimp, olive oil, chili powder, all-spice, ginger, thyme, cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on one side of the pan. To the other half of the pan, add the tomatillos, jalapeño, and garlic. Transfer to the oven and roast 10-12 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked and the tomatillos lightly charred.
3. Set the shrimp aside. De-seed the jalapeño, if desired. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin. To a blender, add the roasted tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, orange juice, and cilantro. Blend until smooth. Stir in the pineapple, mango, and a pinch of salt.
4. Stuff the shrimp into the warmed taco shells, and top with the Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Salsa Verde, avocado, and lettuce. Enjoy!
Strawberry hibiscus rum smash…another favorite. Happy Wednesday!
Our Favorite Recipes
22 of My Favorite Super Bowl Recipes!