Meal Prep Tropical Jerk Chicken and Gingered Broccoli.
Meal Prep Tropical Jerk Chicken and Gingered Broccoli!
Making meal prep fun and exciting again with this tropical chicken…because I really can’t handle boring chicken dinners.
Plus, you guys asked for more meal prep recipes, so here they come!
First though, I have a question. Do you guys ever avoid going to the grocery store? I ask this because literally all week long I have been avoiding going to the grocery store. Honestly, with all the people in town visiting to ski (the downside of living in a vacation destination spot), the store sounds like the most miserable place. Crowded grocery stores are my nightmare.
OK, that’s extra dramatic, but man oh man, I do not want to go! Typically, it’s not just me running everything here at HBH. I have help. Lot’s of help and I love our little team. Thing is, the team is all related to me…mom, dad, brother Kai, and Cait (who technically is not related by blood, but might as well be). And they are all still in South Korea cheering on my younger brother Red at the Olympics…who made Big Air finals and competes tomorrow night (our time at 8:00pm EST!). This means I’m here doing everything (including the chores of taking care of all the animals) and oh my gosh, I’m just a little bit tired.
And apparently I am really dreading the grocery store. One because I am a hermit and don’t leave the house, and two, for all of the the reasons I mentioned above. It’s cool though, because all week long I’ve been making recipes with what I have on hand, and you know what? I’m loving the challenge and loving the recipes I am creating even more. Enter this tropical inspired chicken with coconut rice, gingered broccoli and edamame, plus pineapple salsa. It’s a mix of Hawaiian and Caribbean flavors and it is so good.
It’s also colorful, healthy, and pretty easy too. My kind of recipe.
Here’s how this works.
Make a quick homemade teriyaki sauce. Toss the chicken with some jerk seasoning (my favorite flavor booster) and a little teriyaki sauce. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and add the broccoli. Then flavor that all up with some fresh ginger, bake everything in the oven, make some coconut rice, and finish up with a delicious pineapple salsa.
Put it all together…dinner + lunches for the week – DONE.
Easy as that.
Normally, I’ll make dinner every night and then just have leftovers for lunch. But lately I’ve been working on the computer a lot, and have loved having lunches and dinners already prepped to save time during these busy work weeks. In the past I’ve found that many meal prep recipes tend to be the same, and even a little on the boring side. You guys know me, I like my recipes loaded with flavor, layered with textures, and extra colorful. Boring is not my thing. I’ve been making these Moroccan Chickpea Bowls and this Chicken Shawarma Bowl often, but I’m loving switching up the rotation with this tropical bowl.
Tropical has been my thing as of late. I seem to have hit that point in winter when all I want to do is travel to the most tropical place ever, eat all their pineapple and mango, and chill in the sun for hours and hours.
Ugh. That sounds so nice, but sadly not happening anytime to soon…unless, my mom reads this and decides to plan one of her mega family vacations. Hint, hint…maybe somewhere not so freezing?
Anyway, I LOVE this recipe. I ended up giving all the leftovers to my older brother who has a serious thing for Hawaiian Chicken. He loved it, which is really saying something since he can be picky about his chicken. It has to be well seasoned and saucy. He said this was perfect.
Meal Prep Tropical Jerk Chicken and Gingered Broccoli
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, jamaican
Keyword: easy recipe, jerked chicken, meal prep
No boring chicken dinners here...this dish is loaded with flavor, texture and color, plus is so easy to prep for delicious meals throughout the week!
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups frozen edamame
- 4 cups coconut rice
- 2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juices from 1 lime or lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1 clove garlic, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
3. On a baking sheet, toss the chicken with the jerk seasoning and half of the teriyaki sauce. Slide the chicken to one side of the baking sheet. On the opposite side, toss the broccoli and edamame with the remaining 1 tablespoon ginger, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the broccoli lightly charred.
4. Meanwhile, transfer the remaining teriyaki sauce to small sauce pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer 3-5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
5. Divide the rice among 4-6 storage containers and arrange the chicken, and veggies on top. Drizzle the chicken with the teriyaki sauce. Alternately, you can store the rice, chicken, and veggies in separate containers and assemble when ready. Food will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
7. Before serving, warm each bowl, if desired, and top with pineapple salsa and fresh lemon or lime juice.
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt.
Trust me, this one’s going to become a favorite.
Our Favorite Recipes
Healthy…ish Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.