Tropical Strawberry Hibiscus Rum Smash.
Today we are talking tropical spring cocktails!!
It’s pretty clear that I am in spring GO mode. Even though our weather forecast is for more snow, I am determined to keep the days bright! Sooo, I thought I might share this fun cocktail creation of mine. This drink was one hundred percent inspired by fresh hibiscus flowers that showed up on my door step one afternoon. Since I have hard time finding them at my local grocery store or even Whole Foods, I order my edible flowers online from California at least once a month. A lot of you often ask where I get my edible flowers from, this place is the cheapest I’ve found, but it’s still pricy…I can’t help it though, I am edible flower obsessed.
Anyway, I’ve always loved hibiscus tea…but, I have never actually seen a fresh hibiscus flower. Have you guys? They are possibly one of the prettiest flowers EVER. I knew right away that these flowers needed to be turned into a pretty spring cocktail for Cocktail Saturday. And you guys, I could not be happier with how this drink turned out. It’s SO good and super fun too!
The bottom layer is a mix of mint, lime, mango juice (pineapple or passion fruit juice would be great here too!), coconut water, and rum. THEN, that top red layer…that’s the hibiscus tea. You definitely want to swirl the tea throughout the drink, but it’s fun watching it slowly slide down into the mango mix. All of the flavors together make the most tropical creation. They totally make me want to hightail it to Florida for spring break…anyone with me? I wish that was happening, but as I sit here in Colorado dreaming of warmer days, pools and palm trees, at least I’ll be sipping on a tropical hibiscus smash. YES, please. 🙂
Cheers to weekends and pretty hibiscus flowers!
Tropical Strawberry Hibiscus Rum Spitz
- 2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 a lime, quartered
- 1/4 cup mango, pineapple, or passion fruit juice
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 2 ounces rum
- sparkling water, for topping
- 2 strawberries, sliced
1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium size pot. Remove from the heat, add the hibiscus flowers and 1-2 teaspoons honey. Cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain into a pitcher and discard the hibiscus flowers.
2. In a tall glass, muddle the lime and mint leaves. Add a handful of crushed ice, the mango juice, coconut water and the rum, gently mix to combine. Pour sparkling water over top to about 3/4 the way up the glass. Add the sliced strawberries and top with hibiscus tea. DRINK.