20 Minute Basil Cashew Chicken.
If there was ever a chicken dinner of my dreams, this would be it. 20 Minute Basil Cashew Chicken. I don’t know what I like more. The fact that it only took 20 minutes to make or the yummy flavors!
I’ve told the story of my chicken and rice days many, many times, so I won’t bore you once again, but the short version is, when you combine chicken and rice, I’m all about it. Especially when that said chicken is full of Thai flavors, basil and cashews…aka Tieghan food. 🙂
So you guys, I’ve probably mentioned that my days are twice as long and twice as hard as they have ever been. I’m cramming to meet my book deadline and basically my life is cooking non-stop from morning till night… and then from night till morning I write. OKAY. That’s a lie, I do find some time to sleep at night because I am one of those people who needs sleep to survive. Like you four hours of sleep peeps? Yeah, you guys are just plain weird. Sorry to be harsh, but sleep is where it’s at.
The weird thing is, you would think I would be SOO over everything. Over cooking, over writing, over answering emails and comments, just over work in general. But you know what I have found really odd? I kind like it. I kind of like having every second of every day filled to the max. It keeps me focused and on task, which can sometimes be hard for me.
So I dunno, I guess I’m super weird too. I guess I just really love what I do….oh but the dishes. I really HATTTTEEEEEE the dishes. I am on my own this week, like completely. No help from the best Dad ever. It’s kind of miserable. All the dishes. UGH. Think about making six-eight recipes a day and then doing the dishes…and then needing to go feed the chickens.
It’s like NOOOOO.
The good news is that the goats are actually not here right now. So at least I’m not taking care of them too. I can’t believe I haven’t told you guys this yet, but baby goats are coming!!! Yes, BABY goats!! I know, I know. Too cute. I am SO excited. If all goes as planned this month (meaning that Billy Goat does his thing and does it well ?) than we should have baby goats come mid to late September!! The girls will be back in a few weeks, hopefully with full bellies. Prepare for way too many snaps of all the little goats. 🙂
OKAY. But back to the point.
With the non-stop days, I am all about these 20 minute, quick and simple recipes. Not only are they easy but they tend to be the foods I crave most…chicken and rice. When life is a little on the stressful side, or just GO GO GO, that’s when I GO to my fall back food of chicken and rice. Dad made it all the time when I was growing up, it just has a major comfort factor for me.
This chicken and rice dinner is a little different from Dads. Alright, it’s a lot different, but in a very good way. I mean no offense to Mom or Dad, but their chicken and rice dinners where kind of bland. I loved them back as a kid, but now it’s kind of like, let’s add a little flavor, you know?
Enter this 20 Minute Basil Cashew Chicken.
Flavor is one thing it is definitely full of, but yet it’s still really simple. The chicken gets a quick marinade in some soy and oyster sauces, then stir-fried with ginger, garlic and a few chile peppers. Finish it all off with a whole bunch of Thai basil (or regular basil if you cannot find Thai basil) and a handful of cashews. And that’s it, dinner is DONE.
Lastly, I added some fresh slices of mango for a tropical little kick. I know I’ve mentioned before that I’m currently obsessed with any and all tropical fruits. They’re kind of my way of escaping from the “winter is my spring” I’ve got going on here. If you too are looking for a delicious and colorful pick-me-up, mango slices are where it’s at!
So that’s it – simple, simple!!
20 Minute Basil Cashew Chicken.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger peeled + grated
- 1 serrano chile or jalapeno seeded + chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups fresh Thai basil or regular basil
- steamed [coconut rice |https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/hawaiian-hula-pork-fajitas-pineapple-slaw-coconut-rice/] for serving
- 1 mango peeled + sliced
- Add the chicken to a bowl and toss with the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Let the chicken marinate 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Add the garlic, ginger and serrano chile, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Watch close, you don't want to burn the garlic. Increase the heat to medium high. Add another drizzle sesame oil and the chicken. Stir-fry over medium high heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashews and cook another minute. Remove from the heat and stir in Thai basil.
- Serve the chicken over steamed rice with fresh mango slices and extra basil. EAT!
Easy 20 Minute Basil Cashew Chicken… Wednesday done right! 🙂