Because really, we can’t live on cookies alone.
We need a little health food.
And this bark? Yes, it is practically health food.
There has been a lot of sugar, chocolate, chips and cheese going on and I kind of felt like this was necessary.
Well, not really.
I actually had another not so healthy, super sweet dessert planned for today, but it totally failed. So I drowned my emotions in dark chocolate and then I made bark.
So while this bark may not be hopped up on sugar, loaded down with butter and garnished with crushed potato chips it is probably the best bark I have made to date.
Granted I think I have only made bark one other time and I think I just threw on some nuts and called it a day. Still, you have to try this stuff. The problem is, I can’t get everyone to finish off the other desserts around here. Not only is this bark delicious, it is just too easy to grab and go!
And it is so easy, which is definitely a welcomed idea in my head.
There is a total of seven ingredients, eight if you include the sea salt, and the hands on time is maybe ten minutes. Hallelujah!
Everything is all about the almonds. They are roasted in ground coffee beans with a touch of vanilla, a sprinkle of cocoa and a good dose of sea salt. It is pure amazingness.
Honestly, I am not sure you will ever taste better almonds. Oh, and there are some pistachios in there too. Pistachios combined with the dark chocolate and toasted is coconut is just pure Christmas magic if you ask me.
There is a whole half a cup of ground coffee needed for this recipe, and though it may seem like a lot, not all of it gets added directly to the bark, some of it is used to roast with the almonds. You can choose how little or how much you want to sprinkle on in the end, but I probably used about a fourth of cup.
It was perfect.
Seriously, so good. I mean, this bark is made up of all super foods (hello almonds, dark chocolate, coffee and coconut!) so this is a totally acceptable anytime snack, morning or night.
And it’s a great last-minute gift for practically anyone. Seriously, it is gluten free, vegan and grain free. Like I said, perfect for everyone!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Pour the almonds onto the baking sheet. Roast, the almonds halfway through, until the almonds are fragrant, about 10-12 minutes. Watch closely to make sure they don’t burn.
- In the meantime mix together the coffee grounds, cocoa powder and salt. Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla to a small bowl. When the almonds are done roasting add the pistachios to the baking sheet. Toss the nuts with the coconut oil and then toss them with the coffee. Toss well making sure the coffee grounds evenly coat the almonds and pistachios. It will seem like a lot of coffee, but this is what you want!
- Roast the almonds + pistachios until the coffee is fragrant and the almonds are starting to become crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring until melted.
- Pour 3/4 (leaving about 1/4 of the chocolate for drizzling over top the nuts) of the melted chocolate on to the prepared baking sheet that has been lined with wax or parchment paper and spread the chocolate out to form a rectangle, be careful not to make it too thin. Immediately sprinkle on half of the toasted coconut, then sprinkle on the almonds and pistachios, leaving out most of the coffee grounds. If desired, sprinkle the bark with a few tablespoons of the coffee grounds that were left on the baking sheet (I probably used about 1/4 cup). Add the remaining toasted coconut and then drizzle the remaining melted chocolate overtop of everything. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Peel off parchment, and break bark into pieces.
*The bark can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Good luck trying to stop eating this. It is nearly impossible.
*Don’t forget to enter to win A KitchenAid Stand mixer. The giveaway is going on right now. Enter here!