Ok, so originally this post was going to be vegan chocolate cupcakes……..
But then the coconut rum showed up……..at 10:30 am. (Yeah, people around here are having a good time. All I keep hearing is “I am on vacation……dont judge”) And something in my head just said, put this in a cupcake. Now!
Honestly, I was seriously in the middle of making the vegan the cupcakes actually I even baked and frosted the vegan cupcakes. But I just had to make these coconut rum cupcakes. I mean New Years Eve is on Monday and what better way to celebrate than with some chocolate rum cupcakes……
Please, do not get me wrong the vegan chocolate cupcake are delicious, but all 21 one of us (or it is 22, know one knows. We can not seem to get the count right) agreed the chocolate coconut rum cupcakes needed to be shared. Like right away, these can not wait. But the more I think about it, that does not say a lot. There is not one vegan in this house. Not one out of twenty-one people.
For my vegan readers out there, don’t worry I am planning a vegan post that I know will happen!
Just a little, behind the scenes, for you: As I write this my uncle is sitting, literally right by my side, asking waaay too may questions. Oh, the joys of having 13 Gerards, 6 Mooneys and 1 Chal in the house. Craziness! I think we have been running the dish washer like 4 times a day. That is not normal!
Anyway, these cupcakes are the bomb. The really are the perfect cupcake for watching the ball drop!
Chocolatey and coconutty cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 2 standard cupcake pans with 24 liners.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, simmer coconut rum and butter.
- Slowly whisk cocoa powder into saucepan until mixture is creamy.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and greek yogurt with an electric mixer. Slowly add coconut rum and cocoa mixture. Combine on low speed.
- Slowly add flour and sugar mixture, combining on low speed until completely incorporated.
- Fill baking cups three-fourths full. Bake for about 22 minutes. Cool.
- To make the frosting cream butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with rum and vanilla, until desired consistency is reached. Feel free to add more or less sugar or liquid based on how thick you want your frosting.
Frosting recipe from Jessica.
This is how 2013 should be started!