Vanilla Almond Matcha and Chocolate Lava “Shake”.
How about a little shake for your Tuesday?
Of the greenest variety and filled with the healthiest of ingredients, and um – NO ADDED sugaarr! Whoa. I didn’t even know I could produce a shake so full of health, but yet so full of sweetness and chocolate.
It still amazes me every day what REAL foods can give us. I think it’s kind cool…but I do realize that sometimes you just need a doughnut….no shame.
Oh and happy St. Patrick’s Day!!
Promise I didn’t plan this green shake and those green nails just for today. They just happened. RIGHT.
And speaking of those green nails? UGH. Please remind me to never again attempt to paint my own nails and especially never that green color. Never. Ever. Again. I was trying to be all cool and match my nails to my drink just for the photos. But you know, every time I do this, I totally regret it. This is mostly because for the life of me I cannot paint my own nails. I just do not have the skills what so ever.
AND, the nail polish that you see there, well it dates back to my middle school years and none of those colors should ever be seen again! Neon + cheep polish + years of sitting in a bag in the sun = really horrible looking nails. I think it’s time I go cough up some money and buy some, nice, pretty (non-neon) new colors.
Oh well, I tried. The bottom line is really the shake. It’s kind of an outcast too with its murky shade of green. I’d prefer it to be a bit brighter, but you know, it is what it is. It seems that chocolate and green when slightly mixed create murky green yumminess.
I’ll take it.
Even though there is loads of healthy green in this shake, all you really taste is vanilla, chocolate and a slight hint of the matcha green tea. I am not crazy in love with the flavor of matcha so I was very pleased with the sweet taste of this shake.
Technically this is not even a shake because there is no ice cream. BUT, there is coconut cream, which maybe, just maybe might rival ice cream. It’s definitely just as thick and creamy as any real deal milk shake. Then I used frozen bananas and dates to sweeten it up, coconut cream and avocado keep it super thick & creamy and loads of vanilla keep it tasty. Trust me, you will love it!
And the chocolate lava? It’s really just a healthy version of my homemade fudge sauce that I make with cocoa, honey (use maple syrup if you are vegan), coconut (or almond milk) and dark chocolate. So simple. SO GOOD.
Oh, and if tomorrow rolls around and you find yourself in need of a little “pick me up”, this vanilla almond matcha and chocolate lava “shake” would be just perfect. Of course that’s only if you plan on having A LOT of fun today. Just sayin.
Vanilla Almond Matcha and Chocolate Lava "Shake".
Keyword: almond, chocolate, lava, matcha, milkshake, shake, vanilla
Of the greenest variety and filled with the healthiest of ingredients, and um - NO ADDED sugaarr! Whoa. I didn't even know I could produce a shake so full of health, but yet so full of sweetness and chocolate.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons honey use maple syrup for vegans
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 ounces dark chocolate make sure it is vegan if needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk refrigerated overnight
- 1/2-3/4 cup cold almond milk or coconut water*
- 1-2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder (depending on your taste I used 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract add a teaspoon of vanilla beans if you have them
- 2 soft medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 small ripe avocado peeled + pitted
- 1 very ripe banana frozen if possible, or 1/2 large banana
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- pinch of salt
- cocoa nibs for topping (optional)
- Stir together cocoa powder, honey, coconut milk and salt in small sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until chocolate is melted. Cook mixture at a low boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add remaining chocolate and vanilla and stir until smooth. Any leftover sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container. Reheat over low heat, stirring or in the microwave on intervals.
- Take the can of coconut milk out of the fridge. Open the can and scoop the coconut cream from the top. Measure out about a 1/2 cup of cream and save and leftover cream for another use. Also save the coconut water left in the can for the shake or use it for another smoothie!).
- Add the coconut cream, 1/2 cup almond milk (or the reserved coconut water), matcha (start with 1 tablespoon and work your way up), vanilla, dates, avocado, banana, spinach, almond butter and a pinch of salt to a high powered blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of almond milk if needed to thin.
- To serve, drizzle the warm chocolate into 2 glasses. Add the matcha shake and top with cocoa nibs if desired.
*You can either use almond milk or the coconut water left in the can of coconut milk. **Matcha can be purchased at health food stores (I believe Whole Foods carries it) or on [Amazon | http://www.amazon.com/CCnature-Organic-Japan-Matcha-Powder/dp/B00IMBSGNW/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1426466746&sr=1-3&keywords=matcha+green+tea+powder]. I bought this one from [Amazon | http://www.amazon.com/CCnature-Organic-Japan-Matcha-Powder/dp/B00IMBSGNW/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1426466746&sr=1-3&keywords=matcha+green+tea+powder].