This Spicy Italian Pesto Noodle Soup is my go-to dinner on nights when I am craving Italian, but also want something warming. Spicy Italian chicken sausage simmered in a basil pesto broth with carrots, kale, a little lemon, and plenty of noodles. Finish each bowl off with a sprinkle of cheese and serve with crusty bread. It’s hearty, full of colorful veggies, and so delicious. Great for just about any night of the week. And the leftovers the next day, they make for the best lunch!
I’ve been so exited for Halloween this year. Something about Halloween is just the best. It’s such a fun day of the year. I mean it’s pretty much expected that we go for all the candy, cookies, and pizza we like…no excuses necessary. Or at least that’s how I see it.
Except over here we’ll be swapping the pizza for soup. Because it’s cold and snowing here, and I just need a bowl of (cheesy) soup in my life. Not going to sugar coat it, my week has been hard. Monday just started off on the wrong foot. I don’t know If I woke up on the wrong side of the bed or what, but man oh man, it was not an easy day. You know those days when one thing goes wrong and then every other thing decides to go wrong with it? Well, that was my Monday. Just looking back on it makes me cringe.
All I have to say is that technology is the best…and technology is also the absolute worst. When technology fails you, it’s not fun. And that was a big part of why my Monday was so rough.
But it’s all ok. First world problems. Nothing major. Just a bad day. It happens.
My week is already back on track and I’m looking at the positive side of things. It’s Halloween, it’s snowing, Thanksgiving is coming, and the next two months are my favorite of the entire year. Focusing on all the good things…
Like this soup, which is very, very good.
Not sure if this recipe is really Halloween appropriate, but it’s pretty delicious any night you decide to make it. And I don’t know, coming home to a bowl of this tonight after trick-or-treating sounds pretty great to me. Thinking you should try it.
Here’s the deal. I’ve been on a real soup kick this fall. In the last two weeks alone I’ve made a coconut sweet potato lentil soup, a butternut squash soup, and a French inspired shallot soup. Today it’s Italian Noodle Soup, and next week?
Something pumpkiny, and perfect for Thanksgiving.
Sure, hope you guys like soup!
Right now though, let me tell you about this Italian Noodle Soup.
It’s a little spicy (but not overly so), full of vegetables (the good ones), has spicy chicken sausage, lots of noodles (mine are pumpkin shaped and I am so obsessed with them), and topped off with cheese (provolone to be exact).
It’s simple, it’s pretty quick, and it’s one of the better bowls of Italian soup that I’ve ever had. The secret? A parmesan rind, basil pesto, lemon, and cheese. Ok, and pasta – lots of pasta.
The parmesan rind and basil pesto add a salty, herby flavor to the broth. The lemon adds a nice zing of freshness. And the cheese and pasta? Well, those don’t need much explaining, they’re always good.
Whether you end up making this tonight, sometime this week, or even in the next couple of weeks, it’s sure to become a favorite. I’m loving serving this up on bitter cold nights like tonight, with a good loaf of crusty bread. Normally I’m either making chili or pizza on Halloween, but this soup is the perfect switch up!
PS. I feel bad for all the trick-or-treaters out in my town tonight. It’s SO cold and snowy…hoping it’s a little warmer for the rest of you! Have fun tonight!
If you make this soup please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Spicy Italian Pesto Noodle Soup
Calories Per Serving: 910 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound ground spicy Italian chicken sausage
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt and pepper
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 1 parmesan rind (the end knob of the parmesan wedge)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, roughly chopped
- 1 pound short cut pasta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone cheese
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken sausage and shallots, and brown all over, about 5 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the carrots, sage, thyme, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes. Add the broth, pesto, parmesan rind, and lemon juice. Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. 2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and boil the pasta until al dente according to package directions.3. Stir the kale into the soup, cooking another five minutes. Remove the parmesan rind. Taste and season with salt and pepper. 4. Divide the noodles among bowls and pour the soup overtop. Top each bowl off with cheese and allow the cheese to melt slightly. Enjoy!