This Simple Spicy Summer Coconut Chicken Curry is quick to make and full of yummy island flavors. It’s made with spicy gingered mango, flavorful red curry paste, lots of ginger, shallots, and creamy coconut milk. The chicken is simmered in a sauce of garden vegetables and served with a bright mango topping. A side of rice and fresh naan – for soaking up all that yummy curry sauce – make this dish so delicious.
There’s nothing I enjoy more than a summer curry or stir-fry. Throw everything in a skillet with some seasonings, then serve with rice. The simplest of dinners that always comes out so flavorful and delicious.
Curries might be my favorite, however. They’re summer comfort food with lots of fresh vegetables and a creamy sauce. And they’re usually coconut based, which is my favorite.
Today I’m sharing a new summer curry that came together so wonderfully. I’ve been excited to share this for days! This spicy curry is all about the sauce. It’s creamy but seasoned up with a mix of tropical Jamaican-inspired spices and Thai red curry paste.
I used a lot of ginger and shallots, then all the summer produce in my fridge: sweet yellow corn, zucchini, and red bell peppers.
This is how I make a simple summer curry
Step 1: make the ginger rice
Technically this is not a part of the recipe, but I’m going to tell you how to make it here because I love this rice so much.
Bring 2 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water to a boil. Then add in 2 cups of dry basmati rice and about 1/3 cup of pickled sushi-style ginger. Quickly cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to LOW. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Turn the heat off and let sit for another 15 minutes.
During this time, do not take any peaks inside. When the rice is ready, fluff with a fork. I adore the addition of creamy coconut and ginger, it really makes the rice so special!
Step 2: make the curry
Start with the chicken. Cook it in a skillet with smoked paprika, cayenne, and pepper. Then add curry paste, a couple squares of butter, the shallots, fresh ginger, and thyme.
Once that has cooked and is fragrant, add the vegetables. You can use any mix of vegetables you love, I use fresh summer corn, zucchini, and red bell peppers.
Mix in the coconut milk. Then add a dash of cinnamon and some fish sauce (alternatively, use tamari or soy sauce). Let the sauce cook until it thickens up.
Step 3: the mango
Toss together a diced mango along with jalapeños and pickled ginger. This is a sweet, spicy bite that you can spoon over your curry.
It balances the dish out so beautifully.
Step 4: serve and enjoy
Spoon the rice into bowls. Then spoon the curry and sauce over the rice. I love to drizzle over a spicy curry butter and finish with fresh basil.
For serving, add a side of warm naan – the best!
This dish is definitely becoming a quick weeknight family favorite. It’s also fun because you can use any mix of summer produce!
Looking for other quick summer curries? Here are some favorites:
Lastly, if you make this Simple Spicy Summer Coconut Chicken Curry be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Simple Spicy Summer Coconut Chicken Curry
Calories Per Serving: 632 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 cups chopped summer vegetables: zucchini, bell peppers, corn, summer squash
- 2 1/2 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, tamari, or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger, chopped
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the oil, chicken, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Set over medium-high heat, then cook for 3 minutes. Add the curry paste, cinnamon, butter, shallot, ginger, and thyme. Cook another 2 minutes.2. Mix in the vegetables, let cook 5 minutes, then pour in the coconut milk and fish sauce. Season with salt. Cook 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the basil.3. In a bowl, combine the mango, jalapeño, 1/4 cup freshly torn basil leaves, pickled ginger, and 1 tablespoon ginger juice. 4. Serve the chicken and sauce over rice and with spicy ginger mango and curry butter (below). Serve with naan for soaking up all that sauce.
Spicy Curry Butter
- 1. In a small skillet, melt 6 tablespoons butter with a big pinch of Korean or regular chili flakes. Cook until lightly golden, then remove from the heat and add 1 tablespoon fresh thyme and season with salt. Spoon the sauce over the curry.
View Recipe Comments
To make ginger rice: Bring 2 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water to a boil. Then add in 2 cups of dry basmati rice and about 1/3 cup of pickled sushi-style ginger. Quickly cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to LOW. Cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Turn the heat off and let sit for another 15 minutes. During this time, do not take any peaks inside. When the rice is ready, fluff with a fork. I adore the addition of creamy coconut and ginger, it really makes the rice so special!