Saucy Coconut Curry with Rice Noodles and Garden Vegetables.
Saucy Coconut Curry with Rice Noodles and Garden Vegetables. Best summer curry EVER. Make this curry with whatever you have on hand, I used a mix of sweet corn and zucchini, coconut milk, and rice noodles. Then add some heat with curry paste, and balance it all out with a squeeze of lime. Best part…all you need for this recipe are pantry ingredients and 30 minutes. Yes please!
Noodles need to be extra saucy…they do. Especially noodles in a curry based sauce, because oh my gosh, so much flavor. Do you agree?! Please tell me you do because I am so excited to share today’s recipe with you guys.
It’s become a GO-TO. It’s quick, easy, delicious, almost vegan, and also happens to be healthy. Cool. Cool.
It’s been a while since I did a good curry, so I decided make a summer curry inspired by two things, the ingredients growing in gardens (or found at the market) and the ingredients hidden deep within my pantry. If you’ve been reading for any amount of time, you know I love two things, fresh vegetables and a well stocked pantry. So this recipe is right up my alley.
Growing up, my mom always made a very serious effort to have the most well-stocked pantry around. She’d have back-ups for her back-ups and never run out of anything. It was impressive, and her well-stocked pantry rubbed off on me. I too try to keep my pantry loaded, and be sure to have back-ups for my back-ups. I’m not as good as she was, but I try.
Side Note: my mom was very strict about never letting her chocolate chip stash go lower than four bags. When it hit four bags, she’d run to Sam’s Club to restock. The woman had her priorities in order guys. She is good!
Anyway, I always find it nice to make a pantry recipe come Thursday or Friday when my groceries for the week are dwindling down and I don’t have a lot of fresh groceries to use up.
In comes this curry.
It uses a mix of pantry staples, along with produce you may have growing in your garden or just on hand from a recent trip to the market. Either way, it’s easy, delicious, and something a little different from just another grilled corn and zucchini recipe.
Here are the details.
Start with your noodles. I love using the super thin vermicelli rice noodles, but any rice noodle or noodle that you have on hand will be great. Just be sure to find a noodle you love and something that will hold up well in a good amount of curry sauce.
OK. So for the curry, you’ll need three key ingredients: veggies, curry paste, and coconut milk.
For the veggies, you can use whatever you have on hand, bell peppers, eggplant, corn, zucchini, they all work, so use what you love or what you have. You’ll cook up the veggies, then add the curry paste, coconut milk, and a dash of fish sauce (omit if you’re vegan, if you’re not vegan, TRY IT, it’s the best – promise). Simmer everything for a minute or two and done.
It’s really quick and easy, but also so incredibly flavorful.
I love a spicy red Thai curry paste (my favorite is Thai Kitchen) and full fat canned coconut milk. The curry paste and coconut milk are key to this recipe. They are the flavor and the creaminess to the curry, so don’t skimp on them!
As soon as the curry is done, I spoon it overtop the noodles and EAT. It’s important to eat the curry as soon as you put it over the noodles or the noodles will soak up all that amazing sauce. Still good, but soggy noodles aren’t my favorite. So just keep the noodles separate until you’re ready to eat!
Finish with some spicy chili peppers and green onions and done. Dinner in just about thirty minutes and made using pantry staples and fresh produce.
Kind of love it. Hope you do too!
If you make this saucy coconut curry, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every one of you. Oh, and of course, if you do make this curry, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram so I can see! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Saucy Coconut Curry with Rice Noodles and Garden Vegetables
Make this curry with whatever you have on hand, I used a mix of sweet corn and zucchini, coconut milk, and rice noodles. Then add some heat with curry paste, and balance it all out with a squeeze of lime. Best part...all you need for this recipe are pantry ingredients and 30 minutes.
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 zucchini, or summer squash, diced
- 2 ears sweet corn kernels, removed from the cob
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (soy sauce for vegan option)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- juice and zest from 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro OR basil, roughly chopped (use you personal favorite)
- sliced jalapeño pepper and green onions, for serving
1. Cook rice noodles according to packaged directions.
2. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the zucchini, corn, garlic, and ginger. Cook the veggies another 5 minutes or until they just begin to soften.
3. Stir in the curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add the coconut milk, 1/3-1/2 cup water, fish sauce, and honey. Stir to combine, bring the mixture to a boil, cook 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. If the sauce thickens too much, add additional water to thin. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice and zest, cilantro, and basil.
5. To serve, divide the noodle among bowls and spoon the curry overtop. Top with peppers and green onions. Enjoy!
Our Favorite Recipes
Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookie, Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches.