Want to know my New Years resolution?
Well you probably don’t care one bit. But I am going to tell you anyway!
Honestly, I have never made a New Years resolution. I think they are kind of silly. Well at least the unrealistic ones. I like to set goals, but goals that I know I can carry out. Realistic things like practicing food photography and improving the blog.
One thing I am set on doing more of this year is experimenting with cooking with different ethnic foods.
Mexican, Asian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Italian, Greek, Indian, lot’s of different flavors!
These enchiladas are just the beginning. I am just testing the water with these guys. Easing the family into it (remember, I have some seriously picky eaters around here).
That is not to say they are not amazing though!
These beauties are not your traditional Mexican enchilada. See, we are not really a fan of the red enchiladas over here. They are just kind of ok in my opinion. Anyone else out there with me?
These beauties are stuffed with shredded grilled chicken tossed in a spicy chipotle sauce, baby kale is mixed in for some color, crunch and flavor. The final topping…….wait for it…..smoked gouda cheese!
Um, and then maybe just a little cheddar. You know, for good measure (you can never have too much cheese, right?). Perfect any night of the week. Just serve with some steamed rice and avocados, Ariba!
Smoked Gouda Enchiladas
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 908 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 whole grilled chicken breasts shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced small
- 2 cloves Fresh garlic smashed, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 ounces can diced green chiles 4, mild or hot
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups smoked gouda cheese shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 flour tortillas I used whole wheat
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
View Recipe Comments
- Lightly spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and set aside and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add in the flour, cumin and the tablespoon of diced chipotle peppers and green chilies, stir.
- Whisk in the broth. Add in the tablespoon of adobo sauce and simmer over medium heat until the sauce has thickened. Season with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, taste and adjust seasonings. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl add the shredded chicken, half of the enchilada sauce and 1 cup of the shredded smoked gouda and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar.
- Measure and spread 1/4 of a cup of the remaining sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for one minute.
- Spoon a little of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla, tuck and roll, placing it seem side down into the baking dish.
- Pour and spread the remainder of the sauce over top of the enchiladas and top with the remainder of both cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, in your preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and bubbly.
- If desired serve with hot sauce, sour cream or greek yogurt and sliced avocado.
Yum, Mexican with a twist!