Skillet Strawberry Cobbler with Cream Cheese Swirled Biscuits + Video.
Thank God for Fridays….
And more specifically, Fridays that include a warm skillet cobbler with spring strawberries and most definitely biscuits swirled with cream cheese. Just oh my gosh.
Now really. This is the best cobbler I have ever made. Granted it’s also probably the only (fruit) cobbler I’ve made (I made a broccoli cobbler when I first started the blog), but STILL, I promise it is so good.
And if you are wondering, the only reason this is my first cobbler is because of the whole chocolate always winning out over fruit thing that happens at our house. But my mom LOVED this cobbler, I will not lie though, she and I ate this for lunch…not dessert.
Also, I feel like this is 100% acceptable for breakfast as well. Swap some whole wheat flour for white flour and you may be even be able to go as far as saying healthy…
Ok, that may be a bit of a stretch, but you know I gotta try.
In complete honesty, as far as fruity desserts go, this has got to be my favorite. I am in love with this cobbler, everything from the biscuits down to the strawberries. The strawberries are probably my favorite part, because that’s just me and I am a fruit freak, but the biscuits are down right amazing as well.
It’s all about the cream cheese in these biscuits.
And on a completely different, completely random, note I have decide to get into the whole snapchat thing. While I was with my brother in Cali this week he taught me how to use it, and while I am still learning, I think it could be semi-fun. Plus, I am now spending all my procrastination time creeping around on snapchat. Like whoa, all of a sudden I realized that ten minutes had passed while I was cruising through people’s stories.
That’s when I freaked and decided that I should probably put the phone down and get back to work.
But anyway, if anyone is interested, I am now on snapchat, just search hbharvest (had to shorten the name… sorry if that’s confusing). I see using snapchat for sharing cooking “moments” and behind the scenes photography.
And maybe a snap or two of the goats. Oh the goats.
Actually, speaking of the goats, the family never ended up getting them last weekend, so now it’s looking like Saturday will be the day. I guess the weather was really snowy last weekend, and the roads were bad. No one felt like fighting the weather just to bring baby goats home to a new environment and the freezing snow.
And yeah, the snow, I can’t even talk about that.
Majorly depressed about the snow….
Anyway, the snapchat thing, I would definitely expect some goat footage, and possibly (hopefully) some horse snaps later in the summer!
So on to this skillet strawberry cobbler.
It is one of those recipes that I feel like everyone should have in their back pocket. It’s just so quick, easy and painless. Not to mention delicious and kind of a show stopper when placed on the table.
You really only dirty two dishes, which in my book is a huge selling point. The filling (the strawberry mixture) gets all mixed up in the skillet. No extra bowl needed. You don’t have to use a skillet either, a Pyrex pan will work as well, but I personally love the rusticness you achieve with a skillet. Maybe that’s weird, I don’t know, that’s just me.
The biscuits however, do require another bowl, but then that’s it. They literally are so easy to make and like I said before, those cream cheese swirls throughout the biscuits are maybe the best thing ever.
Like so flippin good.
Once you’ve got the biscuits made, just add them to the strawberries and bake away. Then the smells will pretty much torture you for the next 45 minutes or so. Once they have slightly cooled, you will want to immediately dig in. Like I’m talking fork in one hand, maybe even a spoonful of ice cream in the other.
Oh, and some cold milk somewhere in there too.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Skillet Strawberry Cobbler with Cream Cheese Swirled Biscuits.
Keyword: cobbler, cream cheese, strawberry
A warm skillet cobbler with spring strawberries and most definitely biscuits swirled with cream cheese. Just oh my gosh.
- 5 cups fresh or frozen strawberries hulled + halved if large, about 3 pounds
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar * may sub brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla + one vanilla bean seeds removed, optional
- teaspoon pinch of sea salt about 1/4
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly rub an 11-12 inch cast iron skillet (or large pie plate) with a little softened butter or cooking spray. In the skillet, combine the strawberries, coconut sugar (use 1/2 cup if you prefer things a bit sweeter), lemon juice, vanilla, vanilla bean (if using) and a pinch of sea salt. Toss well to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Whisk together the buttermilk and honey and pour into the flour. Stir with a spoon until just combined, trying not to overmix. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together. Fold in the cream cheese. Use a 1/4 cup measure to drop batter onto the strawberries or press dough on a sheet of parchment paper or cutting board, then use a biscuit cutter to shape the dough into rounds. Place the rounds on top of the cobbler. You will have leftover biscuit dough...bake this and eat with butter. SO GOOD.
- Bake the cobbler for 40-45 minutes or until the strawberries are bubbling and the biscuits lightly golden. Serve warm. Dust with powdered sugar and scoop of ice cream if desired.
No plates. No shame.