Simple Coconut Quinoa and Lentil Curry with Lime Mango + Video.
Simple coconut quinoa and lentil curry with lime mango is just what I need today. It’s healthy, vegetarian and can easily be made vegan! Simple goes with Monday like french fries and ketchup, or cookies and milk.
They just work so well together, you know?
WATCH HOW-TO VIDEO HERE:
Curry on a cold, cold Monday? That is just the BEST. I don’t know about you guys, but here in Colorado we have had some seriously cold weather since before Christmas. I feel like I am pretty much shivering at all times. I will not lie, it’s a little miserable. My dad walked into my house on Saturday and I was sitting on the floor, wrapped tightly in a blanket, with a sweatshirt and hat on, and my computer on my lap.
He looked at me and said, “what the heck are you doing?”.
Me: “working and fighting to stay warm”.
Dad: “why are you using your laptop?”.
Me: “because it acts as a personal lap heater”.
Dad: “why are you on the floor?”.
Me: “because the floor is heated”.
Me: “please don’t open the door…like ever again”.
And that was our little Saturday conversation…clearly I am a weird one, but hey it is kind of cool that my floors are heated, right?!? Win, win!!
Speaking of Saturday things, and on a totally RANDOM note, I have cut back on my coffee consumption. I know, what? Didn’t I just say like last week that I loved coffee? I did, and I do, but I think it has been giving me headaches so I just kind of stopped drinking it last week. I am now on to a new drink, thanks to Caitlin, Kai’s girlfriend, and the one who informs me of all the things happening in the REAL world. Kombucha!!
Please tell me I have some fellow Kombucha lovers out there. I am not big on drinks, I pretty much stick to water, sparkling water and milk (preferably goats or coconut or almond!), but oh my gosh, I am addicted, Kombucha is so good and I am kind of pumped to hear it’s SO good for ME! Again, win, win!
OKAY. Randomness done for today. Let’s have a quick chat about this healthy, vegan curry. While, vegan minus the greek yogurt, but I love greek yogurt so you know I had to include it in my own personal bowl. I also HAD to include some mango, because I’ve become obsessed with tropical fruits during these cold winter days. Prepare yourselves, there are more to come!!
But the curry! It’s simple, quick and delicious… and full of muscle-building protein and fiber! Can you say win, win…again?? YUP! This dish is also full of good for us veggies like baby kale, red bell peppers and carrots! Not to mention a heavy dose of ginger, lemon AND lime. I mean, we might as well just call this superfood curry!
Oh, and then there is also naan…yummy, soft and buttery naan! No this not is not vegan, and no this naan really has very little health benefits, but yes, this naan is incredibly delicious and clearly I love it! Maybe a little too much, but then it’s naan. It kind of deserves a lot of love, you know? It’s also perfect for dipping and scooping this yummy curry.
Sooo, what do you say? Maybe a little superfood curry for dinner tonight? It will make you all warm inside and leave you feeling energized, and healthy too! Sorry, I don’t mean to sound like an ad, but all is true, and I really cannot tell you how much I love this recipe.
It’s the ultimate, quick and healthy meal for a cold winter night! Seriously.
Oh, and if you are looking for me, I’ll be hiding in the blankets with a giant bowl of curry and a piece of naan the size of my face.
Simple Coconut Quinoa and Lentil Curry with Lime Mango.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 2-3 carrots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 2-3 tablespoons thai red curry paste I like to use 3
- 1 tablespoons curry powder I like using spicy curry powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups coconut water OR vegetable broth OR water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or soy sauce if vegan
- 1 cup green lentils rinsed
- 1 cup mixed red and white quinoa
- 3-4 big handful baby kale
- juice + zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro + basil chopped
- 1 mango sliced or chopped
- 1 lime zest + juice
- naan, greek yogurt, fresno chiles + almonds, for topping
- Heat the coconut oil in a large heavy bottomed pot set over medium heat. Once hot, add the red pepper and carrots, cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly charred on the edges. Add the garlic + ginger and cook 30 seconds. Add the thai red curry paste and curry powder, continue cooking for another minute or until the curry is fragrant. Slowly pour in the coconut milk, coconut water (or broth or just water) and fish sauce or soy sauce. Stir to combine and then bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the lentils and quinoa. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the quinoa soft. Stir in the kale and continue cooking, uncovered for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat the and stir in the lemon juice + zest, the cilantro and basil.
Ladle the curry into bowls and top with mango. Drizzle the mango with lime juice + zest. Garnish the curry the with a dollop of greek yogurt, fresno chilies and almonds. Serve with fresh naan. EAT.
Take that Monday! 🙂
P.S. Happiest birthday to the world’s BESTEST mother ever. Hope you and Nonnie are brunching, shopping till you drop, lunching and having the best time!