Sicilian Style Salmon with Garlic Broccoli and Tomatoes.
Monday is requiring some serious color in the form of this Sicilian style salmon with broccoli and tomatoes.
I don’t know about you guys, but my weekend was lacking in color. Well ok, let me rephrase that, may Saturday was lacking in color. Saturday was just a grey kind of day, filled in with on and off with thunder storms. As a result, I decided to spend most of the day huddled in my little barn working on my computer. I know, I know, so exciting, right?
When it’s raining here, there just isn’t much else to do other than stay inside. There are no malls within an hour and a half and all the fun activities are meant to be done outside. Rainy days here are either spent on the couch binge watching Netflix (while half working on the computer), heading to Target (because that’s the best store we have), or cleaning/organizing the house…ok and maybe doing laundry too. Nothing very exciting, but sometimes those days are needed.
Instead of watching Netflix all day (which trust me, was very tempting), I did something that actually excites me even more…I got to work brainstorming fall content for the blog and even getting a head start on some holiday things as well! I had other work that I probably should have been doing, but this was the work that excited me most so I went for it. Plus, the cool temps we’ve been having lately are making me think fall…I maybe even lit my pumpkin spice candle on Saturday night…
Shhhh, you totally did not hear that from me, I am still all summer until September 22.
Anyway, the point is that the day just lacked color and left me craving all the pretty things. I did end up making up for it on Sunday with plenty of colorful food (and the sun did come out all morning, thank goodness), but I’m still feeling like we all need a pop of healthy color today (because Monday can be hard enough) and this easy Sicilian style salmon recipe is just the dinner to provide us with plenty of color…and deliciousness.
Typically when I make salmon, I almost always throw it on the grill (see this Cuban grilled salmon with tomato avocado salsa). Recently though, I’ve really been into one skillet dinners. I mean, what’s not to love about using just ONE skillet for your entire meal? I love the idea! Especially when I have zero help on hand for end of day dish duty, which unfortunately is my current work situation…sure do miss you dad.
So, skillet salmon it was!
Cooking the salmon in a skillet actually ended up being the secret to making this recipe so delicious. You’ll start out by searing the salmon over a high heat so it gets a nice caramelization. Once it’s crisp, you’ll remove it from the pan and add in all the veggies (hello to my favorites, broccoli and sweet cherry tomatoes). The veggies get flavored by the oils and seasonings left in the pan from the salmon, along with some garlic, lemon, and oregano. I’m telling you guys, cooking this up in the skillet is what makes this healthy recipe so good and bursting with flavor.
The best part? Aside from the deliciousness, prettiness, and minimal clean-up? The entire recipe takes about thirty minutes tops. I cooked mine start to finish in twenty-five, which I personally think is pretty dang good and just right for a busy Monday night dinner.
Seeing as I like to eat a rather large portion of carbs with every meal, I served this salmon with a loaf crusty whole grain bread…just perfect for soaking up all that yummy pan sauce. This salmon would also be delicious with a side of risotto, polenta, rice, roasted potatoes, or even pasta!
And lastly? If your family is not big on fish (like most of mine), you can swap the salmon for boneless chicken. I did this and everyone was quite happy. Just make sure to not contaminate (their words, not mine), the chicken pan with any salmon…trust me, they always know.
Alight, and that’s it from me today! Hope everyone has a great start to the week. See you guys tomorrow for some fun and new things on HBH!
Sicilian Style Salmon with Garlic Broccoli and Tomatoes
- 4 salmon fillets
- extra virgin olive oil, for rubbing
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- zest from 1 lemon
- splash of white wine
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Rub the salmon all over with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with chili flakes, paprika, salt, and pepper. Place flesh side down in the skillet and sear until crisp and just beginning to caramelize, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute more or until your desired doneness is reached. Remove the salmon from the skillet.
3. Add another drizzle of oil to the pan, add the broccoli and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper and cook until the tomatoes begin to burst, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add a splash of wine to create a sauce. Add the olives and slide the salmon back into the skillet to warm throughout.
4. Serve the salmon with a side of veggies and any sauce left in the skillet. Garnish with fresh oregano.
ps. when recipes are this colorful (and yummy), you just know Monday will be GOOD.