Switching things up with these Sesame Crusted Curried Salmon Burgers with Lemony Herbs. Pan seared salmon burgers seasoned with spicy red curry and coated in sesame seeds. Serve these flavorful, healthy, salmon burgers on top of fresh naan smeared with lemon yogurt and finished with an herb topping. Not only are these salmon burgers healthy and delicious, but they feel kind of fun and fancy too. Great for Mother’s Day entertaining and spring and summer dinners to come.
Admittedly, burgers are not usual my go-to. I know that’s a bit crazy. Most people love a good burger, whether it’s meat based, vegetarian, or something with seafood. In the past I have struggled with burgers, but not in the ways you may be thinking. It’s the photos! I really struggle with photographing a delicious looking burger…or really a sandwich of any kind. Which is why I often shy from sharing them here on HBH.
Yes, I do know that is so beyond crazy. But as I’ve said before, the photos I share with you guys are just as important to me. I want everything to look mouth-watering and delicious. I truly believe that we eat with our eyes first. So, I’ve spent the past 6+ year fearing burgers. But lately I’ve been looking to challenge myself…in an effort to stay creative and not get board.
So I decided to make a burger. A curried salmon burger, crusted in sesame seeds, and finished with an herby topping. This burger is a good one. And while I cannot say I whole heartedly love the photos (but then I never really say that anyway), I do whole heartedly love this recipe.
If you’re new to salmon burgers, they’re just what they sound like. Ground fresh salmon formed into a patty, just like you’d make any other burger. You’ll need to use a food processor to grind the salmon up. Which isn’t the most fun task, but I promise it will be worth it.
The salmon is mixed with red curry paste for flavor, and then crusted in sesame seeds. The curry paste and sesame seeds are KEY. These two ingredients make this burger next level good. As the burgers cook, the sesame seeds get all nice and toasty, creating a delicious crust around the salmon. Truly, so good, and could be enjoyed just as is.
But with every really good burger you need condiments and toppings. Enter this cooling lemon yogurt, and this zippy buttery herb topping…and the naan, oh, can’t forget the naan!
The yogurt is pretty simple and basic, plain Greek yogurt with lemon, crushed red pepper, and a little salt. Can’t go wrong here. It’s the perfect cooling sauce to serve with a spicy salmon burger, so don’t underestimate its simplicity.
The herb topping is what’s really special though. It’s a combo of fresh herbs (I like to use cilantro, mint, and parsley) and arugula tossed with buttery shallots and lemon. It adds just the right amount of freshness and color to each burger. And those crispy shallots that are mixed in, well they’re a real game changer. Meaning they are SO GOOD. They add just the slightest crunch with each bite.
The tricky thing about these salmon burgers is that they really need to be pan seared. Meaning these are not burgers you should throw on the grill. I know, a bit of a pain if you’re planning to grill out, but that sesame seed crust is worth the extra effort. Trust me.
To round out the meal, I love serving these burgers along with a side of homemade sweet potato fries. You’ll then have your protein, your omega-3s, your greens, and plenty of colorful orange vegetables too.
Healthy food done right!
If you make these sesame crusted salmon burgers, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Sesame Crusted Curried Salmon Burgers with Lemony Herbs.
Calories Per Serving: 1089 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 1/2 pounds raw skinless salmon
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 pinch each kosher salt and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup raw sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh herbs, such as cilantro, mint, and parsley, roughly torn
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 4 fresh naan, warmed
- romaine lettuce, for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Add the salmon to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it’s finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add the salmon to a bowl and mix with curry paste, ginger, garlic, and a pinch each of salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Form the mix into 4 burger patties.2. Place the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl and coat both sides of the burgers in seeds. Cover the burgers and chill 15-30 minutes. 3. Meanwhile, make the yogurt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until smooth. 4. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the salmon burgers and cook until the seeds are toasted and golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet. Wipe the skillet clean. 5. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the butter in the skillet over high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest. Remove the shallots to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the oil in the pan. 6. To make the herb topping. In a small bowl, toss together the herbs, arugula, reserved oil, and the crisp shallots. 7. To assemble, spread each piece of naan with yogurt. Add the lettuce, then the burger, and then the herb topping. Serve and enjoy!