Mediterranean Falafel Bowl.
Can we make “Bowl Food” Monday a thing?
Cause really, isn’t everything better when eaten out of a bowl…
Okay, don’t answer that one. I’m sure we can all come up with some pretty gross “bowl foods”…aka the store bought alfredo soup my brother Malachi ate over the weekend. He said it was maybe the grossest thing he’d ever had, but right now soup is about all he can eat. He had is tonsils removed on Friday and well, apparently having your tonsils removed is even worse than getting wisdom teeth pulled. His mouth looks nasty, and there are basically two giant holes in there now.
Anyway, all he can eat is soup and even that hurts. I feel SOO bad for him. I did make him mashed potatoes though. Luckily he said he loved them and that they were the best thing he’s has eaten in a while. Yeah!! Last week I was all about soft foods and now it’s Kai’s turn. Normally I’d be like haha, but I feel pretty bad for him. Not going to lie, just looking at his mouth looks painful. Evidently, getting your tonsils out as kid his way less of a big deal than getting tonsils out as an adult, where it is a much more painful process. UGH.
OKAY, but maybe we should change topics here and chat about some pretty and delicious things.
YESS, for sure!
First though, how was everyone’s weekend?!? I really hope you guys are having some nice spring weather! It was actually beautiful here all weekend. Sunny and not freezing!! I spent all Saturday working on a project and basically hit my pillow at eleven PM and was out cold. Sunday I took it a little easier, hung with Kai a bit, he leaves to go back to school on Sunday, and worked a little…never not working, right? 🙂
Oh, and I was maybe convinced by a woman I work with to get an Alaskan Malamute. She has the cutest one and was sending photos in between our work texts, I was basically dying, so cool looking! Like I need a Malamute though.
Just need more time in my life. Ahhh.
Let’s try this again, Mediterranean Falafel Bowls. Time to chat about them!!
I mean, how fun and pretty are these? The perfect Monday meal!! Healthy, light and fairly simple to make (don’t let the ingredient list freak you out!!). Let me run you through it all. K? Cool.
…first, start out by making some homemade falafel. Oh falafel, I love that word, it’s so fun to say. I kept the recipe pretty basic and simple, almonds, herbs and chickpeas, but then I added sun-dried tomatoes for a nice Mediterranean kick, they’re perfect! I am giving you two cooking options here, fry or bake. I have to be honest, I prefer fried over baked. Typically I love baked versions of fried food, but falafel is really not one of them. That said, the falafel is still pretty awesome baked, just BETTER fried, if that makes sense. Either way is YUM though. 🙂
…second, toss cooked quinoa with some veggies and herbs.
….third, throw everything together and add some KILLER bowl toppings which can include, beet hummus (or your favorite hummus) tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, avocados (of course), roasted red peppers, feta cheese (duh) and a mix of toasted pine nuts, sunflower and or sesame seeds.
…fourth, drizzle with some lemon tahini.
…fifth, EAT and EAT. 🙂
Pretty easy, right? I know it looks like a lot, but it comes together faster than you’d think, AND trust me, any effort spent making this is sooo worth it. These healthy bowls are kind of everything.
They have everything a vegetarian bowl should have, plus some feta cheese… cause it’s the best, and Monday needs cheese.
Man how many Mondays do you think I’ve said that? Yep, well all Mondays need cheese!!! FACT.
Mediterranean Falafel Bowl.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
Keyword: breakfast bowl, falafel
Healthy, light and fairly simple to make (don't let the ingredient list freak you out!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 Persian cucumbers sliced
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup [beet hummus | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/roasted-beet-hummus-video/] or your favorite hummus
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives halved
- 1 roasted red pepper sliced (homemade or jarred)
- 1 avocado sliced
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- toasted pine nuts, sunflower seeds and or sesame seeds, for topping
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons harissa OR finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes*
- In a food processor, combine the parsley, cilantro and almonds. Pulse until the almonds are finely chopped. Add the chickpeas, flour and baking soda and pulse until until the mixture is combined and mostly smooth. Add the sesame seeds and salt, pulse once or twice to just combine and then stir in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the dough into rounded teaspoon size balls.
- To BAKE: preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Flatten the balls with the palm of your hand. Brush the tops of the balls with olive oil. Bake until crisp and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- To FRY: add a few inches of oil to the bottom of a heavy pot. Heat to 375 degrees F.
- Fry the balls for 2-3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels and then sprinkle lightly with salt.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, cucumbers, parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Divide the quinoa among bowls. To each bowl, add a dollop of [hummus | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/roasted-beet-hummus-video/], handful of kalamata olives, roasted red peppers slices and avocado. Sprinkle the bowls with feta and toasted nuts/seeds. Finish with a drizzle of lemon tahini (recipe below). EAT!
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until completely smooth. Add water to thin the sauce to a drizzling consistency. Taste and adjust as needed. Sauce will keep for 1 week in the fridge.
*I used a harissa that was a combo of sun-dried tomatoes and harissa spices. I found it at Whole Foods. You can use this, or regular harissa and just add sun-dried tomatoes. Both are delicious!
*Falafel adapted from Curtis Stone.
Now, let’s all eat bowl food today… and then have the best week!! ?