Homemade Funfetti Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate Ganache Frosting.
K, it’s time I get on the whole sprinkles band wagon.
Sprinkles were NEVER allowed in our house growing up. Sprinkles and Nerds (candies that is – not smart people, there’s actually not enough of those at our house). And not because they are pure sugar. See my mom just did not like picking sprinkles one by one up from the carpet.
In our house, especially when we were younger food was spilled, knocked over, or dropped probably more than it made it into our mouths. So, sprinkles and nerds were off-limits. Honestly, it was probably my mom’s only rule she actually stuck to.
The boys really hated the Nerds rule.
But really, they hated any type of rule. They would tell you rules were meant to be broken.
Gosh, I make my family sound so bad. We are not THAT bad. At least I don’t think we are.
I guess other’s may have a different opinion. We are definitely are not your average family.
Point of the story, sprinkles have never been an obsession of mine. I mean sure they’re cute, but I would normally pass on them because my mom ingrained into my head that sprinkles are just plain bad.
But as I was walking down the Easter isle at Target recently, frantically searching for Easter straws (yes, straws people) I spotted the most awesome sprinkles.
Easter sprinkles, fully equipped with neon pink, lime green, turquoise blue, yellow and white bunny sprinkles. I just about keeled over and died right there. Ok, that’s a little dramatic. A lot dramatic, but man they are cute. It made me crave spring that much more (15 days!), which is really not good cause it’s snowing…really hard…again. In fact I-70 is shut down because of a 54 car pile-up – insane!
Anyway, I bought um. Then I made these soft fun funfetti cookies that could not be easier. Then I sandwiched them with chocolate ganache frosting. The cookies + the chocolate frosting are so good. Really though, I can’t get over how cute these are.
Homemade Funfetti Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Course: Dessert, Snack
These soft fun funfetti cookies could not be easier., sandwiched with chocolate ganache frosting. The cookies + the chocolate frosting are so good.
Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped (you can also swap semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Begin by making the chocolate ganache frosting. Combine the heavy cream and bittersweet chocolate in a medium saucepan or a microwaveable bowl. Heat on medium low until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. If using the microwave, heat at 30 second intervals until completely melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Add butter in and stir until melted. Add the vanilla. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes while you make the cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or hand mixer) for about 2 minutes, until fluffy. Add the vanilla, almond extract, and egg. Beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and continue on low speed until it’s all added and combined. Mix in the sprinkles (don’t overmix or the sprinkles will start to bleed into the dough).
- Form cookie dough into small balls, about a teaspoon in size. Place cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cookies are light golden brown around the edges. The cookies will harden as they cool, so don't over bake. Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- While the cookies are cooking, whip the ganache frosting. Place the ganache in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer) and whip on high until the color lightens and the ganache has the texture of frosting.
- To make the sandwich cookies, pipe (using a pastry bag or plastic bag) small dollops of frosting on a cookie and sandwich another cookie on top. Store cookies in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Sprinkles + Cookies + Chocolate. Spring into your mouth!
Shared with: Inside BruCru Life, Lil Luna, Chef In Training, Buns In my Oven, Foodie Friday Friends, Tidy Mom, Taste and Tell, Cheerios and Lattes, Somewhat Simple, Mom on Timeout, I Heart Nap Time, Fine Craft Guide, The Country Cook, Whipperberry, Chef In Training