Simple One Skillet Cheesy Green Chile Chicken, all made in one pan without any fuss! Cheese and pepper stuffed chicken seasoned with spices and cooked with salsa verde. This quick-to-prepare saucy cheesy chicken is a great weeknight staple that requires so little work and the outcome is delicious!!
I’m typing this from the car on a drive from Dallas to Houston. Which doesn’t usually go well for me, as I’m the type to get car sick. But I’m determined to make it work! My last book signing of this tour is tonight, but by the time this post is live I’ll be home. Very, very excited about that. As I’ve been saying over and over, this trip has been incredible, but the thought of sleeping in my own bed is so nice.
I’m excited and very much looking forward to some home-cooked meals. And even more…I’m excited to see my family. I feel like Asher and Oslo have grown so much in the last 10 days! Missing them big time.
I’ll be playing a little catch-up once I get back, so this recipe will be perfect. Just like Monday’s Caprese bake, this dinner is SO simple. Simply throw everything in a pan, bake, and you’re done.
It’s a cheesy chile pepper stuffed chicken with a salsa verde sauce. It has the perfect balance of spice, smokiness, and of course – cheese.
Here are the quick details
We’re going to be stuffing the chicken, so I like to use chicken breasts for this. The first thing you’ll do is slice the chicken in half and open it up like a book. You’ll be butterflying the chicken breast. It sounds fancy but it really is so easy. All you need is a sharp knife.
The key is not to cut all the way through the chicken.
Once the chicken breast is opened up like a book. Layer the cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, and a few poblano pepper slices on one side of the chicken. Then fold the chicken shut like a book.
And that’s how you do stuffed chicken!
The rest is really easy. Place the chicken in a baking dish and cover it with some spices. Add onions and the remaining peppers to the pan, then pour over your favorite jar of salsa verde.
Bake in the oven until that cheese is all melty and the sauce is bubbling.
SIMPLE, and so many delicious flavors going on.
When I serve this to my family, I always make a side of cilantro rice. Then I either make homemade beer bread, or I’ll keep it easy and serve warm tortillas.
Just make sure to add lots of fresh cilantro to the top of the chicken. Oh, and some lime too. Yum, this is one of my favorite types of dinners to make!
Looking for other skillet dinners? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this One Skillet Cheesy Green Chile Chicken, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
One Skillet Cheesy Green Chile Chicken
Calories Per Serving: 550 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 2 poblano peppers, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar salsa verde
- fresh cilantro and limes for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° F. 2. Slice the chicken through the middle horizontally to within a 1/2 inch of the other side. Open the 2 sides and spread them out like an open book. Spread the cream cheese on 1 side of the chicken, then add the pepper jack and a few poblano pepper slices. Fold the other side of the chicken over the peppers/cheese, like a book, to enclose the filling. Place the chicken in the skillet or baking dish. Rub with olive oil. 3. In a small bowl combine the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Rub the seasonings all over the chicken. 4. Sprinkle the remaining poblano peppers and onions around the chicken. Drizzle everything with olive oil, then pour over the salsa verde. Bake 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with fresh cilantro and limes.