This cake? Yeah, I know. It’s kind of ridiculous.
But it also just kind of happened.
Like I have no idea how I came up with this.
Ok, well I do. I was brainstorming and brainstorming some more (I brainstorm A LOT! Actually, I brainstorm so much that by the end of the day my brain normally hurts) when I came across a picture of a traditional vanilla Gooey Butter Cake. See, before I saw this picture I had no idea what gooey butter cake was. Obviously, the name intrigued me.
Really, who does not love the words gooey, butter and cake?
All in the same sentence too. That should probably be illegal.
Sometimes my brainstorming can get me into trouble.
Example? You’re looking at it.
For some reason I had Oreos floating around in my brain. Seriously, all I wanted to do was make something containing Oreos. I think it was because I have yet to post an Oreo recipe on this blog.
Wait! What am I saying! Umm, I made the most delicious Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos. They were incredible! Shoot, I totally should have made those and stuffed them into this cake!
Next time. For sure.
So here was my thought process:
Gooey Butter Cake + Oreos = Good
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake + Oreos = Better
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake + Oreos + Extra Chopped Oreos and a semi-hard Chocolate Peanut Butter top layer = Ridiculous
Really guys, the picture say it all. These are fudgey on the bottom, gooey in the middle and crunchy on top. It is a whole lot of awesomeness!
Gooey Chocolate Oreo Crunch Butter Cake
Servings: 20 bars
Calories Per Serving: 407 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
Gooey Chocolate Filling
- 25 oreos divided (I used double stuffed)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon heaping creamy peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, melted butter and egg. Stir until well blended and then mix in the milk. (This can also be done by hand). Pat the mixture into a prepared pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs, and the cocoa powder. Lower the speed of the mixer, and add the powdered sugar. Continue beating until ingredients are well mixed. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick of melted butter, and the vanilla, continuing to beat the mixture until smooth. Spread the filling over the cake mixture in the pan. Press 18 whole Oreos into the filling (the filling will begin to spill over the oreos, but it probably will not completely cover the oreos). Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake. The center should still be a little giggly when finished baking. Let sit five minutes.
- While the cake is sitting chop the remaining Oreos into pieces and melt the chocolate chips and peanut butter together (I use the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted).
- Once you melted the peanut butter and chocolate, evenly the distribute the chopped Oreos all over the top of the cake. Pour the melted chocolate mixture over top, spreading with a spatula. Make sure chocolate gets down into the Oreo crevices, as it is the “glue” that holds the top to the bottom (do the best you can, but the chocolate will probably not reach all the way to the very edge of the cake). Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Let bars sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting. Try and cut them carfully, but beware that the tops might crack a little.
View Recipe Comments
Top chocolate layer inspired by How Sweet It Is.
Shared with: Time to Sparkle, Lil Luna, Chef In Training, Buns In my Oven, Foodie Friday Friends, Tidy Mom, Taste and Tell, Cheerios and Lattes, Somewhat Simple, Mom on Timeout, I Heart Nap Time, Fine Craft Guide, The Country Cook, Whipperberry, Chef In Training, Thursday’s Treasures, A Pinch Of Joy, Whats Cooking With Ruthie, Watch Out Martha, Nap Time Creations