Goat Cheese Stuffed Phyllo Swirls with Pomegranate Honey + Pistachios.
So this recipe is embarrassingly simple.
But, oh my gosh, SO good!
Delicious AND simple? Yep, especially during the week of Christmas. No need for complication or stressing over food.
We just need easy, mouthwatering recipes and all will be good.
Oh and snow. You need to have snow… or at least I do, Christmas just wouldn’t be Christmas without snow. Luckly, we have lots. Yeah!!
Can you believe that tomorrow is really Christmas Eve? I am still blown away by this fact, I mean seriously, how on Earth did that happen? Time flies way too fast! I still have all of my wrapping and SO much cooking to do, but that’s all the fun stuff anyway. PLUS my cousins are here to hang with me and help me out in the kitchen. We planned our Christmas Eve menu on Sunday and it’s kind of…big – like we may be eating all night, but it’s gonna be so good. So many appetizers because appetizers are clearly the best.
There is also going to be beef tenderloin or prime rib (whichever looks better at the store today), cheesy potatoes, salad, quiche and more…
Oh, and quite possibly some special martinis. My cousins talked me into trying out a martini recipe. I am nervous. I have never been in charge of drinks before. Yikes.
Of course, I will totally be remaking these pretty goat cheese stuffed phyllo swirls again. One, the colors! They are so Christmassy it’s amazing. AND I didn’t even do it on purpose, it just happened this way (sweet!). Two, because warm goat cheese stuffed inside a buttery, crisp, phyllo dough shell topped with my all time favorite fruit – pomegranates – plus pistachios, well that’s pretty hard to top. Yeah, these clearly have to be made again.
Gotta love Christmas Eve, it’s my favorite day of the year!
I almost called this recipe idiot proof because it is so easy, but then I didn’t because of the phyllo dough. I know some people are slightly afraid of phyllo dough, but I promise it’s really not that tricky to deal with. You can handle this recipe. You can, you can!!
You just need a few sheets of thawed phyllo dough, some butter, some goat cheese, honey, pomegranates and pistachios. Simple as that.
The only little trick I can share with you for this recipe is that when you are rolling up the goat cheese, roll the phyllo dough up loosely around the cheese. If you roll it super tight, the phyllo dough seems to rip when you go to make the swirls, so roll loose!
Other than that, these are so simple.
And the pomegranate, honey + pistachio topping is a MUST. Don’t skimp people.
Goat Cheese Stuffed Phyllo Swirls with Pomegranate Honey + Pistachios
- 16 sheets phyllo dough thawed
- 1 tablespoons stick unsalted butter melted, 8
- 10.5 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1/3 cup honey
- arils from one pomegranate [how to de-seed a pomegranate | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/deseed-pomegranate-pictures/]
- chopped pistachios for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- On a clean work surface, gently layer a piece of phyllo dough flat. Brush with butter and then top with another sheet of phyllo dough, brush the top with butter.
- Crumble about an eighth of the goat cheese along the long edge of the phyllo dough. Now gently roll the phyllo dough up and over the cheese loosely to create a log. Spiral the log into a spiral shape. Don't worry if you have some places where the dough tears, it will be fine. Place the spiral onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the spirals for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and drizzle with honey. Top with pomegranates and pistachios. Serve warm or at room temperature. Warm is obviously best though!
Oh, and and eat these warm – SO YUMMY.