So umm, Christmas is in just ONE week.
Like seven days from today we will all be hanging out around the Christmas tree, opening gifts and feasting on Christmas food! If you don’t celebrate Christmas maybe you’ll just be chillin and enjoying a little time off?
Either way, it’s going to be a good, good day.
I feel like our Christmas morning, or maybe better, our Christmas Eve (personally my favorite day of the year!) should involve these lattes. I mean, do you see them? Are they not the cutest latte ever? I am slightly obsessed with them. I have never been a huge fan of gingerbread, but I changed that this year, BIG time.
First with these waffles and now with these Gingerbread Lattes. So much gingerbread goodness!
OKAY, but let’s have a serious chat…ok, a fun chat. With Christmas being only one week away, and the New Year quickly approaching, I’ve got some questions.
ONE: have you completed your Christmas shopping?? I have actually had mine done for a few days now, which is kind of amazing. Normally I’m scrambling to find places that will ship in time for Christmas. I am also pretty excited to give my gifts. I LOVE giving a really great gift and I think I actually have a few this year.
TWO: what’s your favorite thing you’ve done (or will do) this month? My favorite activity? Well it has yet to happen. I’m thinking it will be gingerbread house making with little miss Asher which I believe will happen today or tomorrow!! 🙂 We’re also going on a sleigh ride to dinner (all 19 of us) on Monday night, should be fun!
THREE: what’s your favorite gift you’re giving this year? My favorite is the gift I got my dad. I can’t say what it is, in case he reads this, but I am super excited about it.
FOUR: what is your favorite holiday recipe?? I honestly think that these lattes are my current favorite. They are just so warm and cozy, AND they’re another excuse to eat gingerbread cookies…with a side of latte…whipped cream…plus caramel sugar!
FIVE: how are we feeling about these videos I have been making for you guys? Are you guys watching them? Do you like them? Anything you feel I should do differently in them? I would really love to hear what you guys think. Kai and I have had a ton of fun making them, but man, they are so much work! The video world is a whole new ballgame. <–truth.
OKAY. These Gingerbread Lattes. They’re actually like a gingerbread cookie in a drink form, spiked with a little coffee. I have to say, I think these are actually better than a gingerbread cookie because with the lattes you get a drink WITH your cookies. You see, it’s really a two for one deal! 🙂
AND then there is all the whipped cream… dying.
WAIT. It actually gets better. Yes – better! Caramel sugar with flaky salt! See, better times a million.
If you’re wondering what caramel sugar is, it’s literally just caramelized sugar that you break into pieces. SO SIMPLE, but yet so good – and festive! Just sprinkle the shard of sugar over the latte and it just melts into the drink creating the most delicious caramel swirls in your gingerbread.
I mean. Come on. It’s almost too good, but then nope… it’s PERFECT.
Just in case the photos aren’t enough to seal the deal for you, here is a little holiday video to get you a little more excited for these gingerbread lattes! Don’t mind my little quirks, still getting used to this whole camera in my face thing…you know I really prefer to be behind the lens!!
Gingerbread Latte with Salted Caramel Sugar.
Servings: 2 Lattes
Calories Per Serving: 773 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
Salted Caramel Sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- flakey sea salt
- 2 cups lite or full fat canned coconut milk OR your favorite milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup brewed black coffee, steaming hot
- freshly grated nutmeg for serving
- fresh baked gingerbread cookies for serving and EATING
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liquor optional
- teaspoon seeds from 1 vanilla bean or 1 vanilla extract
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large, dry, deep, heavy pot cook the sugar over moderately high heat, stirring constantly with a heat proof rubber spatula until the sugar has melted and turns a deep golden caramel color. Remove from the heat and carefully pour the caramel onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Spread in an even, thin layer and sprinkle generously with flaky sea salt. Allow the caramel to sit 5 minutes. Once the caramel is hard, begin pulling away the parchment paper. Now crush the caramel into small pieces/shards with your hand. Alternately you can place the caramel in a bag and use a hammer to smash the caramel into small shards.
- Combine all the ingredients except the coffee in a medium size pot and bring to a simmer, heating the mixture until it is steaming. When the mixture is steaming hot, remove it from the heat. Using a small whisk or a fork, whisk with all your might until frothy (or add to a blender and blend for 1 minute). Now take the warm coffee and if needed reheat on the stove, or for one minute in the microwave. Stir the coffee into the milk mixture. Divide the latte between 1-2 mugs. Top with whipped cream (recipe below), freshly grated nutmeg, a sprinkle of the caramel sugar and a gingerbread cookie (DO IT). DRINK UP!
- Add the heavy cream to a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the hazelnut liquor and vanilla. Whisk until combined. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
*Caramel Sugar adapted from [Blogging Over Thyme | http://www.bloggingoverthyme.com/milk-dark-chocolate-rochers-caramel-sugar-sea-salt/].
Can you feel the coziness yet?!?
P.S. The mugs are maybe my most favorite kitchen item. You can buy them ate Crate and Barrel if you are interested!