Fudgy Avocado Brownies with Chocolate Fudge Frosting + Video.
Um, yes… I made us healthy brownies! Fudgy Avocado Brownies with Chocolate Fudge Frosting to be exact!
Watch the How-To Video Here:
And I promise, they do not taste like avocado…or cardboard. No really, they are honestly delicious. In fact, my dad has been telling me how incredible they are for like the last three days. I have yet to tell him what’s actually in them, but he loves them! Like he even turned down my mom’s B-Day cake and had these brownies instead. These brownies are full of healthy avocados, have no butter, no flour and are made with natural coconut sugar.
Practically health food brownies I tell you!
Brownies that I really NEED in my life… like now. Sadly, these fudgy avocado brownies are long gone. Thanks for eating them all…dad.
Can I just say that I am so glad it is Friday. It’s kind of been a week, and yesterday I had a cavity filled, minus any novocaine… because novocaine really freaks me out. I also had a huge wipe out on some ice the other day and well, my body just kind of hurts. And I really don’t want to relive the cooking fails I had this week, so we’ll just not even go there. It will suffice to say that, after three batches of burned beyond return cashews, I decided to just give up and called it a day.
The very good news is that it’s FRIDAY… and we have BROWNIES to talk about. Extra chocolatey and extra fudgy brownies…plus extra HEALTHY too!!
Truth: these brownies will turn any frown upside down, and yes, I know from experience. My internet went out earlier this week and I spent hours and hours working on it. When I finally got it fixed I took a ten minute brownie + milk break… and then all was right with the world again! The power that chocolate has is amazing, you know?
I know, you know.
So, how did I make brownies with avocados and without butter? Simple, I used the avocados in place of butter!! I know, I know, what?!? Like avocados in brownies? Eeww?? NO, no, no – not eww… YUM! Honestly, you do not even know there are avocados in these brownies, you just know that they’re probably the most fudgy brownies you’ve ever had. Like ever. These brownies are SO moist and so soft… they’re just everything!
I took my base brownie recipe and swapped the avocado for the butter, the almond meal for the flour and the coconut sugar for the granulated sugar. I also reduced the sugar just a little bit. I know this all sounds so odd, but you guys, do not be afraid, these brownies are the bestest!
And um, the fudge frosting totally seals the deal. I’m going to go ahead and say that it’s actually better than any sugar and butter loaded fudge frosting I’ve ever had, AND it’s full of healthy ingredients like maple syrup, coconut oil, cacao powder (you can also use cocoa powder) and dark chocolate. I mean, come on, these brownies are like an antioxidant power house! Hehe!
Maybe we could do brownies for breakfast?? Or maybe after lunch might be better – it would at least look more appropriate. Oh, who cares…they’re healthy! I’m thinkin’ mid morning snack, yeah mid morning snack for sure!!
You can be like me… skip the coffee break and go for a ten minute brownie and milk break instead…DO IT.
Fudgy Avocado Brownies with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
*Frosting adapted from Gourmande in the Kitchen.
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped + divided
- 2 ripe avocados pitted + skins removed
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee optional
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs*
- 1/2 cup cacao or cocoa powder I use cacao
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- roated chopped almond, for topping (optional)
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup cacao or cocoa powder I used cacao
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
Melt 2 ounces dark chocolate in the microwave or over a double broiler until melted and smooth. Add the avocado, coconut sugar, instant coffee and vanilla to a food processor and puree until completely smooth and no clumps of avocado remain. It helps to scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Pour in the melted chocolate and puree until smooth and combined. Add the eggs and process until the eggs are combined. Now add the cacao powder, almond meal and salt. Pulse until the mixture is just combined. Remove the blade and stir in the remaining 2 ounces of chopped dark chocolate.
- Evenly spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the brownies are just set. DO NOT over bake or these will become cakey. Allow to cool before frosting.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- In a small sauce pan, melt together the maple syrup, coconut oil and dark chocolate over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cacao power + a pinch of salt. Pour the frosting over the brownies and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle with any desired toppings. Place the brownies in the fridge and allow the frosting to set 30 minutes to 1 hour. Cut in bars and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place or in the fridge. EAT...with milk!
Doesn’t that bite look yummy? It was… trust me.