I have a delicious savory breakfast for us today…egg in a hole avocado, bacon, egg and cheese bagel, yum!
I’m sure you guys have noticed, but typically when it comes to breakfast foods I’m all about the sweet recipes. I save the eggs for dinner, but I dunno I’m feeling the savory breakfast today. I think it’s probably because my brothers are here and they love eggs…and bacon…and cheese…hence the Egg in a Hole Avocado, Bacon, Egg and Cheese Bagel. Back when I was in high school, I would make my brothers bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches almost everyday. They loved eating them after they would get home from snowboarding. I’d always go heavy on the bacon and cheese since that’s their favorite part.
It had been a while since I’ve made them a good breakfast bagel, so I decided I’d make one while everyone is home for Christmas. I got a little fancier though and did an egg in a hole style bacon, egg, and cheese. I thought they might be opposed, but they basically just mowed every last bite, and then said it was the best, bagel I’d ever made.
I’ve known for a while now that I wanted to post a good breakfast for the holidays. Originally I was thinking something that could be prepped the night before. I had my eyes set on some kind of casserole, but I just for the life of me could not think up a recipe I was happy with. Something about egg bakes, I always only think of my mom’s waffle strata and since I did something similar last year, that recipe was just not going to work. We always have Monkey Bread on Christmas morning, but for the last few years it seems that after everyone devours the monkey bread, they all run to the stove and start cooking “hearty” food in the form of cheesy eggs, bacon and toast.
Like I said in yesterday’s post, I am loving being inspired by the family, so I just decided to go with what they all love. I know this is a simple sandwich and pretty much everyone knows about a bacon, egg and cheese, BUT this one is just a little special. I mean, for one, the eggs get cooked up in the holes of the bagels, and two, the combo of cream cheese and cheddar.
Yup, a double whammy of cheesy goodness! Lovin’ it.
Well these cannot be made in advance, they are seriously easy to make and require very little kitchen time. And trust me, the time spent on them is very worth it. I mean, how can you go wrong with a sandwich like this?
It also makes for a pretty good lunch…or better yet, breakfast for dinner! <–my favorite.
Double also, Christmas is in three days! Oh my gosh! So much to do, so much excitement! What are you guys up to the next couple days?
Egg in a Hole Avocado Breakfast Bagel.
Servings: 2 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 724 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 bagels halved
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 handful baby kale or arugula
- kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the bagel hole to be about 1 1/2 inches wide. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the bottom half of the bagel, cut side down and cook until toasted. Remove from the skillet and spread with cream cheese. Return to the skillet and sprinkle the cheddar over the cream cheese. Add the top half to the skillet, cut side facing down. Crack an egg into each hole (both bottom and top half) and cook 1 minute. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake 8-10 minutes or until the eggs are just set. Repeat with the remaining bagel or just make 2 at once.
- To assemble, add the bacon, avocado and a handful of greens to each bagel. Add the top bagel and season the eggs with salt and pepper. Eat!
Eggs on eggs on eggs!