Curried Zucchini, Chicken and Goat Cheese Rolls with Cashew Mango Fried Rice
This is so good.
So, so, so good.
And so different.
But trust me, different is good.
And that is coming from someone who HATES change and anything that is remotely different. I am a creature of habit. This is me rebelling.
Rebelling against my summer food rut.
Not that I am in any way bored of my summer food rut. I mean tomatoes, basil, mozzarella? Nectarine, peaches, strawberries? Yeah, I could never get tired of those.
Oh and you can’t forget the ice cream.
But lately I am really into trying new and crazy foods.
Like spicy curried grilled chicken wrapped up with creamy goat cheese and fresh grilled zucchini. These little bites alone are amazing. Such a cute, quick and easy appetizer that I honestly think everyone will love.
These cheese really gets everyone. Mixed with the spicy curry it is so good.
Ok, but then there is the rice.
Which is just mind-blowing good. It compliments the spicy flavors in the chicken so well. Plus, it has mangos and cashews.
In my perfect world everything would be garnished with cashews.
Salty and so darn good. We love them over here.
Oh and mangos?
Well, I think you know how I feel about those.
This may seem like a process. Yes, you have to make the rice and you have to grill the chicken and zucchini, and you even need to spread some goat cheese on top of the zucchini and roll it all up. But I promise, it is easy. It all comes together supper fast. My only tip is to prep all your ingredient before you start cooking anything. Seriously, DO THIS!!
It will make the process go so much quicker and smoother. Plus, if you don’t, my guess is your food will be cold by the time you are ready to eat. I don’t know about you guys, but I despise cold food that is supposed to be hot. Despise.
Oh and there is NO oven involved in this. Again! Two recipes in a row. You are so welcome!
Spicy Curried Zucchini, Chicken and Goat Cheese Rolls with Mango + Cahsew Fired Rice
Course: Main Course
Keyword: chicken, goats cheese, spicy, zucchinni
A delicious mix of flavours and textures, with a spicy twist
Curried Zucchini + Goat Cheese Rolls
- 2 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bit size
- 3-4 inch zucchini sliced lengthwise into 1/4- slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne use less for less heat
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese softened
Mango Fried Rice
- 1 cups [batch coconut rice | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/easy-chicken-fajitas-with-thai-mango-slaw-and-coconut-rice/] or 3 cooked rice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil divided
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 mango peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup cashews plus more for garnish
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- *At least 30 minutes before grilling, soak your skewers (if they are bamboo) in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from charring.
- Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, thai red curry paste, curry powder, cayenne, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and toss well, making sure the curry mixture completely coats the chicken. Let this sit while you prep the zucchini.
- Brush the slices of zucchini with the remaining olive oil on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium high.
- While the grill preheats make the mango fried rice, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss in the cashews and dry toast them for about 5 minutes, flipping occasionally. They should be slightly browned in some spots, but it’s okay if they’re unevenly browned, you don’t have to be too precise about it. Transfer cashews to a large plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the red pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the red pepper is seared. Add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, and toss for 30 seconds or so, being careful not to burn. Remove the veggies from the pan and place on the plate with the cashews.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir the eggs constantly and cook until almost set but still moist, then transfer egg to a bowl. Break the eggs up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the pan and about half of the rice. Toss to coat, then add in the remaining rice, tossing once again. Cook for about 3 minutes, tossing often, until warmed through.
- Add the soy sauce, hot sauce and red curry paste, and toss. Cook for another 3 minutes, until the rice has browned sufficiently. Add the veggies back in and the cashews and mango. Cook just until mangos are heated through. Keep warm on the stove while you grill the chicken and zucchini.
- When ready to grill, place the chicken onto the skewers (or if you do not have skewers you can place the chicken in foil or cook on the stove).
- Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping 2-3 times until chicken is cooked through and has light char marks. While the chicken is grilling grill the zucchini for about 4 minutes on each side, or until tender. You may also use a grill pan to do this.
- Once done remove everything from grill. Then spread the softened goat cheese all the way down one side of the zucchini. Place once piece of chicken on one end of the zucchini, right on top of the goat cheese and then roll up and place seam side down on a platter. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini slices.
- Serve the warm rice in a bowl and top with 3 or 4 warm zucchini rolls. Garnish with cilantro and more cashews.
P.S. Don’t you love that I somehow managed to include cheese in a traditionally non-cheesy recipe? Definitely a typical Tieghan move.