This is kind of like eating cheesy guacamole with a spoon.
Except it’s kind of not, because obviously, it’s a mushroom.
Let’s just call it a mushroom spoon.
The only way I was able to get away with making these bites of deliciousness is because we now have 3 people who appreciate good food in the house. Myself (obviously), my dad, and… we have added another brother to the clan here in Hood, my brother Brendan. He is my only brother who really appreciates good food, and is open to trying anything as long as it ends up being delicious. The problem is, he is rarely with us. But he is here now (not sure how long though) so I decided to seize the creative opportunity and forget about the picky eaters (don’t worry, not entirely, I made them a homemade pizza) and make some stuffed mushrooms!
In this family, mushrooms are something that only my dad and I would even look at. Malachi might get grossed out that mushrooms were even sitting on the table, the way he does when I serve fish to my dad. I have actually had him take his dinner over to the island before, just so he would not have to look at fish. Luckily, when I placed an ooey gooey cheesy pizza in front of him, he didn’t even notice the mushrooms at the other end of the table.
To be honest, this recipe is pretty embarrassing.
Basically it is just an excuse to eat a lot of guacamole all in one bite, which in my opinion is a totally awesome thing.
Plus, there is a mass amount of blue cheese in this guacamole.
If you guys have not noticed by now, I love blue cheese. Oh and buffalo sauce. The two together though?
It was only a matter of time until I added avocados. I mean, just so we are clear I have not gone a whole week without posting a recipe including avocados since January. And most weeks there is at least two recipes including them.
I have a problem.
Oh and yes, the buffalo sauce is a must. My dad would tell you it is a must on everything.
But really, on these, you should definitely do it.
It is so good.
Blue Cheese Guacamole Stuffed Mushrooms with Buffalo Sauce
Servings: 6 Servings
Calories Per Serving: 454 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Shop ingredients at your local Target store. Learn more
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 avocados mashed
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 in Jalapeño seeded and diced (I left half of my seeds )
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-4 ounces blue cheese crumbled (may sub goat cheese, cotija cheese or feta if you are not a blue cheese fan)
View Recipe Comments
- To make the buffalo sauce combine the melted butter, hot sauce, seasoned salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. This can be stored in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat or heat your oven to to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place the mushrooms stem side up directly on the grill and grill for 8-10 minutes or bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the grill and dump any liquid that is in the caps.
- While the mushrooms grill or bake, mash the avocados in a medium size bowl (I left mine pretty chunky, but go as chunky or smooth as you want). Add the tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and and fold in the blue cheese.
- When the mushrooms are ready stuff each mushroom with the blue cheese guacamole. If your mushrooms are small you may have some of the guacamole leftover, just serve it along side the mushrooms with chips, save for snacking or make [this grilled cheese | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/blue-cheese-smashed-avocado-and-roasted-tomato-grilled-cheese/]. Serve with a drizzle of buffalo sauce if desired.
Ok, no more avocados…..until Monday. 🙂