Crispy Gnocchi with Pistachio Pesto.
Why do Monday’s seem to be the busiest?
I mean really, it is the first day of the of the week let’s ease into it a bit.
So, I know the last thing you want to do after a crazy hectic day is cook some dinner that is going to take you an hour + to make and leave you wishing you ordered take out. No one is up for that after a long day.
Maybe on a Sunday, but not Monday.
Crispy Gnocchi to the rescue (ahh, sorry I got all cheesy on you guys again)!
I like to make homemade Gnocchi at home, but sometimes there is just not enough time. And honestly, the changing of the clocks and losing an hour has left me tired and a little cranky. Anyone else?
*SIDE NOTE* Ok, wow I just looked at my Butternut Squash Gnocchi that I made in my first week of blogging. Those pictures are SO not good! I can not believe I thought they were good. I even remember saying to myself “wow, those pictures are good”! So glad I learned how to use my camera a little better!
Anyway, If you are feeling tired, cranky and hungry these crispy gnocchi’s are perfect. They are fast and soft and delicious and done in under 30 minutes!
When I made the pistachio pesto I was thinking it would turn out green. I really wanted a pretty green pesto for spring (and St. Patty’s day), but then it turned out red. I have no idea why I thought adding sun-dried tomatoes to the mix would not turn things red. Um, hello those things are red. Very red. Red enough to over power the green I was going for. Sometimes my brain does not process things properly. Ok, it actually does this a lot. Story of my life.
Whatever. The pistachios and sun-dried tomatoes together rock. Like they are really an awesome combo. Who knew? Not me, until of course my crazy brain decided to throw them into the food processor.
Oh, and a note about the pistachios. I have not ever bought them this way, but next time I am going to pay up and try the shelled. Because I am so so cheep and will not “shell” out the extra two bucks, I spent like 45 minutes shelling pistachios. On a Friday to boot! I think I need a life…
Crispy Gnocchi with Pistachio Pesto.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: gnocchi, pasta
If you are feeling tired, cranky and hungry these crispy gnocchi's are perfect. They are fast and soft and delicious and done in under 30 minutes!
- 3/4 cup unsalted shelled or in-shell roasted pistachios - you decide
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or more depending on your preference
- 2 pound packages potato gnocchi 1, I used DeLallo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for the pan
- Combine the pistachios, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, crushed red pepper flakes (if using) and pepper in a food processor or blender and pulse until coarsely chopped. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil and process until smooth. Add the cheese and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Cook the gnocchi according to package instructions.Before draining reserve a cup of the cooking water. Drain completely. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the gnocchi in a single layer and cook (I did this in two batches) undisturbed, until golden and crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Turn the gnocchi and cook, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pesto and some of the cooking water to thin the sauce. You might have leftover pesto. Serve warm and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
It may not be green, but it’s good. Especially good on a busy Monday night.
Shared with: Inside BruCru Life, Lil Luna, Chef In Training, Buns In my Oven, Foodie Friday Friends, Tidy Mom, Taste and Tell, Cheerios and Lattes, Somewhat Simple, Mom on Timeout, I Heart Nap Time, Fine Craft Guide, The Country Cook, Whipperberry, Chef In Training