Chocolate Lovers Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse Cake.
Chocolate lovers…this one is for you.
There really are no words for this cake other than incredible.
The base is like a brownie, the center is the silkiest, creamiest, chocolate mousse, and the top is pure chocolate heaven. And as if all that wasn’t awesome enough, this cake is one hundred percent HEALTHY! Not only is it loaded with PROTEIN and ANTIOXIDANTS, but it’s EASY to create. I mean, really could it get better? I am thinking no.
As you may or may not know, my mom’s Birthday was Wednesday. We actually did the main celebration a week ago, while my family was all in town still, but we never did cake. This meant that for her actual birthday we definitely needed cake. Now, my mom is a serious, serious chocoholic. If you’ve been reading a while than you’ve heard me say she drinks hot chocolate in the morning like most people drink coffee, and pretty much always has chocolate after every meal…actually sometimes it is her meal. <–Truth, she told me she had this cake as her lunch yesterday!
This last year or so however, she’s decided to drastically cut down on the processed sugar. She has been doing a lot of cacao based desserts and sweetening things with raw, organic honey or pure maple syrup. SO for her birthday cake this year, I decided to take one of her favorite desserts, chocolate mousse, and turn it into a super healthy and delicious cake!
The timing worked out really well, seeing as we are in the middle of Healthy January, which by the way, I am foreseeing these super healthy recipes flowing over into February. Most of the comments I am receiving seem to express that you guys are really liking the healthy, quick and easy eats? yes? no?
Anyway, I think my mom’s favorite dessert is my chocolate birthday cake, and I’m not going to lie to you guys, pretty sure she still likes that cake better than this one, BUT she loved this Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse Cake as well. This one just feels a little lighter, and it’s definitely much less sweet. Still completely delicious though, I promise!
The first layer of the cake literally tastes like a fudgey chocolate brownie. It’s insanely good and insanely good for us! Made up of heart healthy walnuts, coconut, antioxidant and fiber packed dates, cacao powder (or use unsweetened cocoa powder), and a pinch of flaky sea salt (my fav). Basically, healthy food, but in chocolate form. Also, if you’re looking for an easy to make, easy to eat, healthy dessert, you could make just this base and roll them into balls for little bite size snacks. That would be awesome!
The second layer is the mousse! Around here, we love chocolate mousse. Whenever I make chocolate mousse, I pretty much always make it the super simple way, meaning no eggs and lots of heavy cream. When I was sitting (on the ground in front of my oven cause I am always cold) thinking about this recipe, I wondered how greek yogurt would work in place of the cream. I love greek yogurt, so I was thinking it might be a good combo. I think the key is to use whole milk greek yogurt. It’s thick and creamy and has a consistency very similar to mousse. But…one, it’s so good for us, and two, it’s as easy as mixing cacao powder and yogurt together in a bowl and calling it a day. Ahh, yes please. I used a little raw honey to sweeten it up, but not a lot. If you like a sweeter mousse, just use more honey to your liking.
For the third layer, I went pretty much all chocolate (very dark chocolate). After all, I was making this with my mom in mind, so heavy on the chocolate was obviously a must!
This is hands down one of my favorite cakes. Honestly, you would never know how healthy it is if I didn’t tell you. The bottom tastes like a chocolate brownie, the center is light and creamy, and the top is chocolate heaven.
I finished the cake with a pop of color in the form of roasted pistachios and a few dried roses for fun. Perfect birthday cake…or Friday night treat!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Chocolate Lovers Greek Yogurt Chocolate Mousse Cake.
Keyword: cake, chocolate mousse, greek yogurt
Chocolate lovers...this one is for you.
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups pitted packed dates (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of flaky sea salt
Greek Yogurt Mousse
- 3/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk or heavy cream
- 5 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- chopped pistachios for topping (optional
- To make the crust. In a food processor, combine the walnuts, coconut, dates, cacao powder, and a pinch of salt. Pulse until finely ground and the mix forms a ball, about 5 minutes. Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8-9 inch spring form pan, making sure to pack it in tightly.
- To make the mousse. Add the heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or use a hand held mixer. Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, gently fold the greek yogurt into the whipped cream. Add the cacao powder, honey, and vanilla and stir until combined and creamy. Spread the mousse evenly over top the brownie layer. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 1/2 hours
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the coconut milk and dark chocolate. Microwave on power lever high for 30 second intervals, stirring after each until melted and smooth. Let cool five minutes, then pour the ganache over top the mouse. Sprinkle with pistachios. Chill 30 minutes or until ready serve.
- Run a knife around the inside of the spring form pan and then release the cake from the pan. slice and serve!
The most perfect bite. For real.