Chocolate Espresso Thumbprint Cookies.
Chocolate on chocolate. Yes, please.
I think one of the best things about December is all the cookies. I mean, they’re practically everywhere, and I gotta say, I love it! I mean, who could not? Cookies are the best. I’ve gotten into the habit of sending out a box of cookies to people I work with and close family members the week before Christmas. In prepping for this year’s box, I wanted to have a few new cookie recipes to include, and obviously these Chocolate Espresso Thumbprint Cookies are making the cut.
Chocolate cookie with chocolate coffee ganache…too good! And then, because I was feeling all fancy and just happened to have it on hand, I decorated these cookies with edible gold leaf. Yeah, edible gold leaf, super fun right? Kind of big time lovin’ these right now.
So at the end of each month, I try to sit and jot down some recipe ideas for the upcoming month. Some months I have a ton of ideas and some…not so much. The month of December however is always pages long. Holiday recipes come so easily to me, especially the sweet ones, I just have so much fun with them! And you guys all know that around here, the chocolate just flows, so including some chocolate recipes in the month are a must! Thing is, I only have so many days to post. That makes choosing between them all a major struggle to say the least. Instead of doing the hard work myself, I just sent the list off to my brother and these cookies were at the top of his list.
Chocolate Espresso Thumbprint Cookies it is then! Done and DONE.
Up until these cookies, I’d never made a thumbprint style cookie. I normally stick to the sugar cookies, butter cookies, or super gooey chocolate cookies. Thumbprints just never really got me excited, but then I wrote down this idea, for an all chocolate coffee infused thumbprint cookie, and I was SOLD.
If you ask me, chocolate and coffee has got to be one of the best pairings there is. The coffee compliments the chocolate so well. In my cookbook, I have a recipe for lava cakes, I add just a little coffee and I swear it makes all the difference, best lava cakes around <–seriously. So excited about that recipe…can’t wait for you guys to see it, make it, and eat it…coming next fall!
Anyway, back to the cookies! With a lot of cookie recipes it seems there’s often the rather annoying step (if you ask me), of chilling the dough. I dunno about you guys, but I can never seem to plan ahead, and when I wanna cookie, I want it fast, not after waiting two hours for the dough to chill, sorry, that’s just not an option. Well, I’m excited to say that this dough needs zero chilling. These cookies are actually pretty fast and easy cookies to make too. Plus you may even have all of the ingredients on hand right now, cause you know I do! Tis the season after all! Plus, Tuesday cookies are the bestest. I mean, right?!
These are the perfect cookies to gift, but they’re also great just to bake and enjoy yourself. While the cookie is delicious, it’s the ganache that’s key here. Nothing beats biting into that fudgy center, SO GOOD. The cookies are similar to a brownie cookie…moist and super chocolatey…but with a really nice hint of coffee flavor. If you like, you can choose to tone down the coffee flavor by adding less espresso powder, but I prefer to go heavy, the more the better!
Ok and super quick, I have serious question for you guys…
QUESTION: what are YOUR favorite Christmas cookies? I’m dying to know if some of you are like me and love something a bit more chocolately, or if you’re all about the sugar cookies?
Oh and hmm, maybe I should do a round-up of my favorite Christmas desserts sometime before Christmas Eve? Yes? No?
Chocolate Espresso Thumbprint Cookies.
Keyword: chocolate cookies
Chocolate cookie with chocolate coffee ganache...too good!
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream optional
- 8 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and coffee powder and beat until incorporated. Add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, beating until just combined. If the dough feels dry, add 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
- Roll the dough into 2 teaspoon size balls and place 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Using the end of a wooden spoon or your thumb, press gently in the center of each to create an indentation.
- Transfer to the oven and bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are just set, about 7-8 minutes. If the indentations lose their definition, gently press the centers in again. Cool slightly on baking sheet and then transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and cream. Microwave on 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla and coffee powder until dissolved. Spoon the ganache into the center of each cookie. Decorate as desired with sprinkles or edible gold leaf. Keep cookies stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Tuesday cookies with a kick…for the win!