Chocolate Coconut Almond Bars.
We made it… it’s FRIDAY… we need chocolate!
Cause man, it was a cold, wintry week. But it was also a good, productive and OK, slightly tiring week, that really NEEDS to end in chocolate, you know? Plus, I am gearing up for five days on Asher duty so you know I will need some sweetness in my life to keep me going, because wine doesn’t do it for me, so I make chocolate. All the chocolate (and coconut!!) please!
Oh, but umm, if wine does do it for you, I would imagine that these bars + a glass of vino (thinking red would pair best with the chocolate?) would be the ultimate laid back Friday night, no??
My Friday night however is going to consist of grapefruit body scrubs, mac and cheese making, photo editing, Harry Potter watching, chocolate eating (in the form of these bars…and maybe a super sweet and chocolatey cookbook recipe I am testing out) and snuggling with the cutest person ever… Asher (aka the little sister). Maybe not the typical Friday night for a twenty-two year old, but I’ll take it! Also, I think I have said this before, but man I need to get out in the real world. Maybe I should take up my cousin, my brothers and pretty much everyone else I encounter, suggestions and head out to the bars with them one of these nights.
UGH. I dunno, that’s really not my scene.
Guys, am I missing out?
I think I’d rather chill out at home and make cookies. –>Geez, I am the ultimate homebody!
ANYWAY, my point in all my rambling is that my Friday night is set, and I am pumped for two very important reasons. First, little Asher, we may be a good fifteen years apart, but we can have the best time just hanging together (and FYI all of my mom’s baby daddies are the same daddy! I get the question “is she/he your half sibling” A LOT. I am very happy, and lucky, to say that my parents are just crazy (and crazy for each other) and started having kids early and just never stopped. They truly ARE crazy, but I love um). And I can’t lie, Asher acts like she’s fifteen sometimes, she gets it all. She is too smart for her age (both in intellect and street smarts)
Second? These here chocolate coconut almond bars, I LOVE these bars! They are dangerous for me to have around, but then not really, because they’re “healthy”, which I think makes them even more dangerous cause then I somehow think I can eat the whole pan in one day.
On another note, sorry for the major run on sentence up there. Really, I should not be allowed to write anything. My grammar knowledge is horrid.
OKAY, so back to the chocolate though. These bars are my dream, full of all healthy ingredients, a thick layer of coconut and an even thicker layer of chocolate.
Yes, yes and YES.
The base of the bars is made up of raw almonds and dates and kind of a lot of vanilla extract. They are DELICIOUS. I mean, you could just cover the base in chocolate and snack on them… so good. But you know me, I had to go a step further and add my coconut layer. Me and my coconut… so much love happening there. The coconut layer is raw coconut, plus a little coconut milk, a little honey (if vegan, use agave nectar or maple) and a pinch of flaky sea salt (my obsession). Simple, delicious and just… give me a spoon and I’ll be happy.
Then just cover it all in chocolate… a THICK layer of dark chocolate with a swirl of almond butter. I don’t do think layers of chocolate, I just don’t.
Oh, and another reason why these bars are dangerous?? They are SO easy to make. Everything gets made in the bowl of a food processor or high-powered blender. Then just layer, pour on the chocolate, swirl in some almond butter and add some cacao nibs and or hemp seeds plus a little flaky sea salt on top. Chill, eat and eat… and then probably eat again. Trust me, you’ll try to stop, but it’s really not all that easy.
Chocolate Coconut Almond Bars.
Course: Dessert, Snack
Keyword: almond, bars, chocolate bar, coconut
These bars are my dream, full of all healthy ingredients, a thick layer of coconut and an even thicker layer of chocolate.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 12 plump medjool dates pitted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- pinch of salt
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chopped, or semi sweet
- 2 tablespoons rounded almond butter
- cacao nibs + hemp seeds for topping (optional)
- Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the almonds, 1 cup coconut, dates and vanilla. Pulse until finely chopped, but not pureed. Add the coconut oil and pulse until combined, being careful not to over mix the the mixture. You want it finely chopped and a little chunky.
- Press the base mixture into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the freezer.
- Back in the bowl of the food processor (no need to clean it!) combine 2 cups coconut, coconut milk, honey and salt. Pulse until you have a finely ground mixture. Remove the base layer from the freezer and add the coconut layer in an even layer. Return the pan to the freezer.
- Melt the chocolate over a double broiler or in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Remove the bars from the freezer and spread the chocolate over top. Now take the almond butter and swirl it into the chocolate. Top with cacao nibs and hemp seeds if desired. Cover the pan and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour to allow the chocolate to set.
- Place the sharp knife under hot water and then cut the bars into about 16 squares. The chocolate layer may pop off of the coconut layer as you cut the bars. Don't worry, just push it back into place. Keep the bars stored in the fridge in a sealed container.
Go THICK on that chocolate layer guys…I mean, it’s FRIDAY! 🙂