Chipotle Cheddar Potato Latkes
Latkes, lat-kee, lat-kuh, potato pancakes, fritters, lakes (what I say, because I have awful grammar and am obviously not jewish).
Whatever you decide, know one thing. They are good!
Crispy, spicy, cheesy and delicious!
I was flipping through one of my many food magazines I subscribe to (I am a complete magazine hoarder! I love um! Oddly, I do not like the trashy ones though) and saw a simple recipe for latkes. Then flipping through another magazine when I saw yet another recipe for these simple little pancakes. I’m telling you, it was a sign. Well at least this is what I am telling myself. I needed to make me some latkes. Now!
The thing is, I can not follow a recipe for the life of me! Seriously, give me a recipe and I will end up changing 3/4 of it and making a completely different dish. Which again is another odd thing because this is not my personality. Total type A here! In life I follow directions, am a total clean freak, and do not like to stand out. In my cooking however I seem to take on another personality. I guess, it must be my way of rebelling! Yeah, that is totally it.
So, yeah I definitely invented my own latke. I hope it does not offend and of my Jewish readers, but I am pretty sure you will love um! They are definitely not your average potato latkes. I spiced them up with some smoky chipotle peppers, which I seem to be mildly obsessed with lately! Then the cheddar cheese happened……….of course. Really everything is better with cheese!
You can serve these as an appetizer or side dish or with some eggs for breakfast on a Sunday morning. They are perfect for holiday entertaining. I promise everyone will love them, serve as and appetizer or side along with some greek yogurt for topping.
Chipotle Cheddar Potato Latkes
- 1 oz large baking potato peeled and quartered lengthwise about 10
- 1/4 onion peeled and quartered
- 1 clove large garlic peeled
- 1/4 flour
- 3/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 egg
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 in chipotle chiles adobo sauce minced (I used 2)
- 1-2 teaspoons adobo sauce I used 2
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- EVOO or peanut oil for frying
- greek yogurt or sour cream for serving
- Using a food processor fitted with a coarse grating disk, grate the potato, garlic and onion; discard any large pieces. Transfer the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze out any excess liquid, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the flour, egg, cheddar cheese, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and the baking powder.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in 5 to 6 batches, drop 2-tbsp. scoops of batter into the pan about 2 inches apart. Using a spatula, flatten the batter into disks. Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes. (Lower the heat if the latkes darken too quickly.) Drain on paper towels.
- serve arm with greek yogurt or sour cream.
Ok, now I need to do some Christmas shopping. Help. I am SO behind. Major panic mode has begun!