The best summertime Sheet Pan Chipotle Cheddar Corn Chicken Enchiladas. Chipotle chili seasoned chicken, charred sweet corn, and poblano peppers tossed with salsa verde. Wrap it all up in tortillas topped with two kinds of cheese and bake to golden cheesy perfection. Finish these light and healthy enchiladas off with avocado, lots of cilantro, and fresh lime. The perfect weeknight enchiladas made entirely on one sheet pan in less than an hour.
As promised yesterday, a summer Mexican inspired Monday night dinner for you all! Oh, these enchiladas. I’ve been excited about them for over a week and I’m looking forward to making these again tonight for dinner. Because there will indeed be an Instagram story featuring these enchiladas. They are just so delicious.
Since it is now peak summertime (wow, time is flying), I am embracing summer’s produce stars all month long. Corn is going to be a regular throughout July and August. My family loves sweet summer corn and I enjoy finding new ways to incorporate it into simple recipes, like last week’s corn ravioli.
This week, I’m switching it up completely and going Mexican…enter these enchiladas. They really do scream summer, and they’re the simplest to throw together on a weeknight too.
Really the only inspiration behind this recipe was the desire to use summer corn in a new way. Well, that and time. This summer more than ever I’m really focusing on time and how I am spending it. With our weather being almost picture-perfect this last week, I want to make sure I’m getting out to enjoy it before summer is gone.
This means simple recipes that don’t require too much prep work or time.
Sheet pan dinners are the name of the game. Their only downside is the use of the oven, but for me, it’s worth it. I love cooking everything all at once. It just makes life simpler and always turns out a delicious family dinner.
Really hoping you all agree, because my hope is that everyone is adding chicken enchiladas to tonight’s dinner menu. Or at least add them to your dinner menus sometime soon!
The (simple) details.
To make these sheet pan chipotle cheddar corn chicken enchiladas it all starts with a sheet pan and chicken. And since I feel like some of you may ask, for all of my sheet pan dinners I really love using a sturdy sheet pan like this one.
Toss the chicken simply with chopped chipotle chilies in adobo, salt, and pepper. We love slightly spicy, smoky chipotle chilies. But if you prefer a low heat level, just use one to two chilies. If you don’t have canned chipotle chilies, feel free to use dried chipotle chili powder or even just your favorite chili powder.
To that same sheet pan, add a few ears of fresh corn, poblano peppers, sweet yellow onions, and lots of garlic. Now, put everything in the oven and roast it. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan…
This next step is key…broil the corn and peppers until lightly charred. Trust me, you must do this. A little charring on your vegetables gives them a whole new life and adds levels of both flavor and texture. Just be sure to watch them closely. The broiler does quick work and food can often go from lightly charred to burnt in a matter of seconds.
To finish up…
Simply shred the chicken, remove the kernels off the cob, chop the other vegetables, and assemble the enchiladas with some sharp cheddar cheese and your favorite jar of salsa verde.
Tip: My preferred method to easily remove the corn kernels is to simply lay the ears of roasted corn flat on my cutting board. Then cut down the side of the cob to remove the kernels. Then rotate the cob and continue cutting and rotating the corn until all the kernels are removed.
Now bake the enchiladas for a bit to melt all that cheese. Less than an hour later your house will smell like your favorite Mexican spot. And you’ll have darn good enchiladas to enjoy!
Toppings are key.
I always add lots of toppings! Fresh cilantro and avocado are a must for us. But then I also love adding either crumbled cotija or feta cheese, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (sour cream is great too), fresh chopped green onions or chives from the garden, and finish with lime zest and juice.
Never forget the toppings!
Tip: for visual appeal, you can leave some of the charred corn out of the enchilada filling and sprinkle it over the top of the enchiladas just before serving. Love the look of a little charred corn on top of an enchilada.
Serve these with a side of white rice, brown rice, or quinoa. Suddenly your Monday night will go from boring to your own little Mexican fiesta. I recommend rounding out the meal with a salty margarita…because it’s summer and why not?!
Enjoy and happy Monday! Feels like it’s going to be a great week!
Looking for other Mexican corn summertime favorites? Here are a few ideas for you:
Lastly, if you make these sheet pan chipotle cheddar corn chicken enchiladas, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Watch the how to video:
Sheet Pan Chipotle Cheddar Corn Chicken Enchiladas
Calories Per Serving: 497 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders or small breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 ears corn
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cups salsa verde
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- 10-12 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- avocado, yogurt/sour cream, crumbled cotija/feta, and limes, for serving
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.2. On a baking sheet, toss the chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the chipotle chilies, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Arrange the corn, poblano, onions, and garlic around the chicken. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the baking sheet. Switch the oven to broil. Broil the vegetables until lightly charred, 1-2 minutes. Watch closely, then remove everything from the oven. 3. Shred the chicken with two forks. Remove the corn kernels from the cob, de-seed the poblano pepper and cut into slices, and chop the onions and garlic. Add everything back to the baking sheet and toss with 1 cup salsa verde, half the cheese, and the cilantro. 4. Pour 1 cup of the salsa verde onto the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Spoon the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla, tuck, and roll. Place the tortillas, seam side down, into the baking dish. Pour the remaining salsa verde over top of the enchiladas. Top with the remaining cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Top as desired and enjoy warm!