Easy 30 Minute Creamy Chicken and Parmesan Sage Dumplings. All made in just one pot for a cozy delicious dinner. Taking a classic and upping the flavor with caramelized shallots, garlic, fresh sage, and a touch of milk. This warming herb filled soup base is topped with light and airy parmesan dumplings making every bite comforting and delish. This recipe is perfect to cozy up to on both fall and winter nights.
I returned home from Cleveland to crisp fall weather here in Colorado, with dark skies and day full of low clouds. Usually these days aren’t my favorite and can leave me feeling a little tired. But in the fall, an extra cozy day here and there is a little more welcomed.
It gave me the perfect excuse to remake this chicken and dumpling recipe, yet again. I have been making it on repeat over the past few weeks.
One, because we absolutely love it. It’s like a creamy chicken, but with the lightest, fluffiest dumplings on top. And two, because it’s so quick and easy. Most of the time I have this ready in under 30 minutes.
Chicken and dumplings are another one of those recipes that my mom turned me on to. She’s all about cozy comfort foods and chicken and dumplings are one of her childhood favorites.
It’s a recipe that literally warms the soul. I know, it sounds cheesy, but it’s true. If you’re having a bad day, the weather is gloomy, or you just need something to make you feel good inside, this is it.
It’s pretty close to perfection.
I have other chicken and dumpling recipes. But for this one, I wanted it to be so freaking easy, yet so delicious too. I also wanted it to be a touch creamy – I’m really into creamy foods right now.
To keep the time and prep way down, I turned to trusty old store-bought rotisserie chicken. Why I don’t use rotisserie chicken more is beyond me. It’s aways good and fairly affordable. Plus, if you’re just looking to shred the meat, it can be used in so many ways.
So that helps to keep this recipe quick and simple.
For the soup base, I cooked up some shallots and garlic. I then added in a lot of vegetables, fresh thyme, and sage. Then I dropped in that shredded chicken and a splash of milk to make the broth extra creamy and delicious.
I also used a bit of white wine for an even more flavorful broth.
While the soup base is simmering away, mix up the dumplings.
In the past I’ve found dumplings to be a tad bland, so I decided to bump up the flavor with the addition of fresh sage and nutty parmesan cheese.
The dumplings get cooked directly in the soup. This keep the dishes down to the bare minimum.
I’ve yet to meet anyone who hasn’t loved a bowl full of this chicken and dumplings. It’s warm, cozy, and perfect for eating while snuggled up on the couch wrapped in a cozy blanket. It truly doesn’t get better.
If you’re finally experiencing those first few cold October nights, this really is the dinner to make.
Looking for other easy comfort food dinners? Here are my favorites:
Lastly, if you make this 30 Minute Creamy Chicken and Parmesan Sage Dumplings, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
30 Minute Creamy Chicken and Parmesan Sage Dumplings
Calories Per Serving: 479 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes and access them on any device! You can keep track of your favorite recipes and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.
Already Registered? Login Now
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup cream, whole milk, or coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Heat the olive oil In a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook another 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, celery, carrots, thyme, and 1 tablespoon of the sage. Season with salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes. 2. Pour in the wine and broth, add the bay leaf, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the chicken and 1/2 cup cream/milk. 3. To make the dumplings. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sage, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Add 1 cup milk and cheese and mix until just combined.4. Bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Drop a heaping tablespoon of the dough into the soup, adding about 6 dumplings to the soup at a time. Cover, and cook for about 8-10 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked through and puffy. 5. Divide the soup and dumplings between bowls and serve topped with pepper. Enjoy!