Skillet Caprese Prosciutto Chicken, pan-fried lemon pepper chicken with marinated, burst cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, plus plenty of mozzarella! Use a homemade lemon pepper seasoning blend or pick one up from the store. Serve each piece of chicken with warm burst cherry tomatoes in a delicious olive oil marinade, then top with extra crisp prosciutto. This dish is quick to make and every last bite is full of delicious summer flavors. A new favorite skillet dinner.
How perfect is this recipe for the months of August and September? I first made it about two weeks ago and I’ve been excited to share it ever since.
I’ve been traveling the past week, but I’m happy to be home today. I’ve got a counter full of cherry tomatoes and an herb garden overflowing with basil. I’m already looking forward to dinner!
By this time of the summer, tomatoes should be at their ripest. Whether you’re growing them or picking them up from your local market, they’re everywhere!
Some people love tomatoes more than others. I personally think they’re great. But come summertime, I think we all could use a few more creative recipes to enjoy them in new ways and not tire of them.
There are A LOT of tomato recipes this time of year. But with the addition of spices and herbs, they can have so much flavor. I’m excited to share that today’s recipe is the perfect example of that!
Step 1 – crisp the prosciutto
If you ask me, the prosciutto makes this dish really special. You don’t need it, but I love its crispy salty flavor with the flavors and textures of this dish.
Simply add thin slices of prosciutto to a large skillet with a small drizzle of olive oil. Since prosciutto is much less fatty than bacon, I find that using a little oil helps crisp up the prosciutto nicely.
Once the prosciutto is crisp, pull it out of the skillet and set it on a plate.
Step 2 – the lemon pepper chicken
For the chicken, I like to make my own lemon pepper seasoning mix. It’s grated lemon zest, grated garlic, black pepper, dried oregano, and paprika all mixed together. Fortunately, it takes only a few minutes to make.
Of course, you can easily use your favorite lemon pepper seasoning from the store too.
You’ll add the chicken to that same skillet used for the prosciutto. Then add the lemon pepper seasoning and fresh sage. Toss it all together, then let the chicken get a nice sear on either side, allowing it to cook all the way through.
Step 3 – the tomato marinade
I use really good olive oil, champagne vinegar, and a squeeze of honey. Add some fresh shallots, garlic, basil, and thyme. Then season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
Add the tomatoes to that same skillet and pour over the marinade. Let the tomatoes simmer until they burst.
Step 4 – finish
Toss the fresh tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and basil.
Now plate the chicken and spoon over the hot tomatoes and oil. Add lots of fresh mozzarella. I like to use the mini balls, but torn mozzarella works too!
Next, top with the prosciutto.
Then I always finish with fresh basil.
Such a great summer dinner that’s ready in less than an hour. Plus it’s a dish that almost everyone will love!
Looking for other skillet-made dinners? Here are a few of my go-to’s.
Lastly, if you make this Skillet Caprese Prosciutto Chicken, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Skillet Caprese Prosciutto Chicken
Calories Per Serving: 572 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces prosciutto
- 6 boneless skinless chicken cutlets or thighs
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne or apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- chili flakes
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces mini mozzarella balls
- grilled bread, for serving
- 1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until crispy all over, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and place on a plate. Reduce the heat to LOW. 2. In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the chicken, lemon pepper seasoning, and sage. Then season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Sear on both sides until golden, 3-5 minutes per side. Pull the chicken out and set it on a plate with the prosciutto. 3. Meanwhile mix 1/2 cup olive oil with the vinegar, honey, shallots, garlic, 1/2 cup of basil, and thyme. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes. 4. Add 2 cups tomatoes to the skillet, then pour over the dressing. Simmer over medium heat until the tomatoes burst, 5 minutes. 5. In a bowl toss 1 cup of tomatoes with the balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. 6. Plate the chicken, then spoon the hot tomatoes and oil over each piece. Top with mozzarella, then the fresh tomatoes. Finish with all that crispy prosciutto and serve with some yummy crusty bread!
View Recipe Comments
Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning: Mix 2 tablespoons lemon zest, 2-4 cloves grated garlic, 1 tablespoon black pepper (using more to your taste), 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 2 teaspoons kosher salt and chili flakes, to taste.