Roasted Garlic Caprese Grilled Cheese. Slow roasted summer tomatoes and sweet roasted garlic, sandwiched between slices of sourdough bread with fresh basil pesto and mozzarella cheese. Then pan-fried until the cheese is melty and the bread is crisp. Tis’ a true end-of-summer delight.
Is there anything better than a really good grilled cheese? To me, it’s just feel-good classic comfort food. As a kid, my grilled cheese sandwiches consisted of whatever bread we had laying around the kitchen, cheese, and butter. My dad kept it simple, but they’d never disappoint.
It’s truly hard to beat a melted cheddar sandwiched between 2 slices of buttered bread.
However, as much as I love the classic simple grilled cheese, I’m also all about making grilled cheese the “fancy” way. Though I don’t really consider this recipe fancy – just totally delicious.
Here are the details
Aside from the time needed to roast the tomatoes, this is almost as easy as the 3-ingredient grilled cheese my dad would make. Almost.
First things first, the tomatoes. Find some really good ones with really nice color. Mine were on their last leg, which was honestly perfect for roasting.
Then grab a head of garlic and smash it down. Toss the cloves onto a baking sheet with the tomato slices and season everything generously with salt and pepper. Next, roast away until the tomatoes start to char and become even sweeter than before.
At the same time, the garlic roasts and turns into a buttery golden clove that can easily be smashed further down into a paste.
When the tomatoes are finished, I further mash the cloves of garlic. Then I mix the tomatoes and garlic with basil pesto.
Now all that’s left to do is assemble.
Fig preserves, which are certainly not traditional in a Caprese. But the jam adds a sweetness that really balances out the richness of the melted cheese and the savory flavors from the basil.
It’s the layers of flavor that really make this Caprese grilled cheese stand out.
Layer the jam with mozzarella cheese, roasted tomato slices, garlic pesto, and then more cheese. Pan-fry the sandwiches with butter until golden and crisp. The cheese on the inside becomes that melty goodness we love so much.
Five minutes later you’ll have the best summery grilled cheese, so so delicious! A wonderful way to use up the end-of-summer tomatoes and herbs and celebrate these precious last few weeks of summer.
Looking for other grilled cheese recipes? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make this, Roasted Garlic Caprese Grilled Cheese be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Roasted Garlic Caprese Grilled Cheese
Servings: 2 grilled cheese
Calories Per Serving: 781 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, left in skin and smashed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons fig preserves (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
View Recipe Comments
- 1. Preheat oven to 425° F.2. Arrange the tomato slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Scatter the smashed garlic cloves around the tomatoes. Drizzle everything with olive oil and season with salt pepper, and chili flakes. Bake 20-25 minutes, until tomatoes are deeply roasted. 3. Remove the garlic from the pan and pop the cloves out of the skin. Mash the cloves with a fork into a paste. Mix the roasted garlic with the basil pesto. 4. Brush the outside of each slice of bread with butter. On the inside of half of the slices of bread, spread with fig preserves. Evenly layer the cheeses, the tomatoes, pesto, and the remaining cheese. Add the top piece of bread.5. Melt 1-2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side. EAT and ENJOY!