Campfire Grilled S’more Calzones.
Ok, I feel like the Grinch saying “it’s practically here”, but really S’more season WILL officially be here this weekend (hello Memorial Day!!). Yes, I have probably seen the Grinch one too many times for sure, (but I still love it) but I couldn’t resist because Memorial Day is practically here.
Anyway, I am pretty excited about some cool ideas I have for new twists on the classic S’morse, but today I am actually sharing an idea from my brother Brendan who is living in Salt Lake City and spending the spring and early summer working at a pizza shop…
Originally, I had another post planned (for like months) that I really wanted to show you guys before Memorial Day, but well, unfortunately I relied on an unreliable source and they didn’t come through until the day before for I was leaving for Cali 🙁 I am still pretty excited to share that post, but it’s going to have chill a bit until later in the summer. Luckily, my brother had a great idea for a last-minute fill in, so here we are today with his twist on the classic, campfire grilled S’more calzones.
These S’mores are also super simple, but the best thing about them is that you can make them in advance and just bring them along to whatever fun spot you may be headed off for. Then just throw them on the already hot grill (in a pan over a campfire works too) and you’ve got an awesome, no effort required, dessert! Just like the classic, but a little better because umm grilled, cinnamon spiked pizza dough…plus one or maybe two, too many, pieces of Hershey’s chocolate squares equals delicious fun!
Oh, and if you’re into it, these can also get a little dusting of powdered sugar and a sprinkle of crushed graham crackers.
BUT, maybe the best part, which yes is optional, is that scoop of ice cream you should most definitely be eating with these. It’s almost like a handheld pie, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Warm chocolate filled marshmallow pies with cold vanilla ice cream.
I really couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate Memorial Day than these cute little calzones. They are something everyone can love and will have fun eating too! They’re even a little less messy than traditional S’mores.
Campfire Grilled S'more Calzone.
Course: Dessert, Snack
Keyword: calzone, s'mores
A delicious twist on the classic sweet
- 1 pound batch of the above dough or 1 store bought pizza or pastry dough
- 2-4 Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars
- 10 [homemade | https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/grilled-banana-bread-peanut-butter-smore-with-vanilla-marshmallows/] or store bought marshmallows
- finely crushed graham crackers and powdered sugar for dusting
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- In a large bowl, combine water, yeast and honey. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in the 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cinnamon, salt and olive oil, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, on a floured surface, form the dough into a ball and work the additional 1/2 cup flour into the dough if needed. All of the mixing and kneading can also be done in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Next, rub the same bowl with olive oil, then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough in 10 equal size balls. Then either roll the dough out into a 6 inch circle or divide the balls into two and roll into 2 (3 1/2 inch) circles. Working on one side of the dough or with one dough round, add two pieces of chocolate. Flatten one marshmallow and place it on top of the chocolate. If desired add another two pieces of chocolate (I did). Now either take the top half of the dough and fold it over the filling or add the top round of dough. Crimp the edges of the dough to seal. At this point, the s'mores can be placed on a floured cookies sheet, covered and stored in the fridge overnight or until ready to cook.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat or the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush the top and bottom of each s'more with melted butter. If baking the s'mores, line a cookie sheet with parchment and place the buttered s'mores on the baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- To grill, add the buttered s'mores to the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve the s'mores warm, dusted with graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar or even served with ice cream.
*Inspired by Spedelli's, the pizza shop my brother works at in Salt Lake City, Utah.