Brown Butter Crepe Ice Cream Tacos
Yeah, I am totally serious.
Remember this ice cream from Tuesday? You know the milk chocolate one with the fudge brownies AND a peanut butter swirl?
Well I totally had plans for that ice cream.
Brown Butter Crepes! Blame this girl for turning me onto the whole browned butter concept. It is pretty much the best thing ever! Seriously people, you should brown your butter and add it to EVERYTHING. Yeah, it’s that good.
And I mean, it is Friday so we can totally be eating butter, crepes, ice cream, homemade magic shell and sprinkles all at the same time.
Right!! People it is Friday! Ah heck yes!! The sun is shining, the snow is melting and Brown Butter Ice Cream Crepe Tacos are a MUST!
Originally, I was thinking I would post these a little closer to Mother’s Day only because my mom is a freak for crepes and ice cream. No seriously, crepes stuffed with ice cream is probably her favorite dessert. Well actually they are probably a dead on tie with those Chocolate Beignets that I made a while back for her birthday.
But then I thought Cinco De Mayo. TACOS!!
Obviously, this HAD to happen.
Sorry for the dramatics. I have been so excited to tell you about these for days. It has been so hard!
You know when I first started blogging I always said to myself that I would not be overly dramatic, that I would not use all CAPS and a boat load of exclamation marks.
Yeah, I stuck to that for about a week.
Sometimes (ok, a lot) the excitement just takes over, which is odd because in person I am pretty shy.
How else do I get the point across that these are good. I mean really, would you be interested if I said ” these are good, you should make them”.
No, cause that’s just boring. We’re talking about really good food here, we need some excitement!
I have this super cool taco mold/maker thing that I love! I use it all the time (FYI homemade taco shells are 20x better than those fried store-bought ones). It is super simple to use, but I do not expect you guys to have one of these so you can just make taco cups like the ones you see in the photos. They are a little less fun, but just as delicious! Just use a cupcake pan to make the cups.
I highly recommend you use this ice cream. It just puts these things over the top, plus homemade ice cream trumps that freezer burned stuff in you freezer.
Then we’re making a homemade magic shell. Yeah it takes maybe three minutes and it is awesome.
Obviously, homemade trumps the store-bought processed stuff in my book. Yeah homemade rules!
Oh and don’t forget the sprinkles!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Brown Butter Crepe Ice Cream Tacos
Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keyword: ice cream, tacos
Sounds crazy, but tastes amazing
Brown Butter Crepes
- 1 pint of your [favorite ice cream|https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-swirl-fudge-brownie-ice-cream/]
- 12 ounces mik chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- sprinkles for topping
- Start by making the crepes. Add butter to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk constantly until brown bits appear on the bottom, about 5-6 minutes, then immediately remove from heat and set aside. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor. Add the browned butter and pulse for 30 seconds or until well combined. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.
- Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. Makes about 10 crepes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Drape four crepes over a [taco mold|http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Baked-Taco-Rack/dp/B00004R90X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366926530&sr=8-2&keywords=taco+maker]. (Or you can also just make these into taco cups by using a cupcake pan instead. Just fit the crepes into the cupcake molds and follow rest of the instructions.) Place in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove and stack the four crepes together and then stuff the top crepe with foil to prevent the crepes from caving in. Repeat until you have at least 8 crepe taco shells. Place the crepe taco shells in a plastic bag, leaving them stacked together with the foil stuffed in the top for 10 minutes or until you are ready to fill them. This step is important because is helps the shells soften, so they do not crack when you are trying to stuff them with ice cream.
- Soften a pint of ice cream or churn a [fresh batch|https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-swirl-fudge-brownie-ice-cream/]. Place a cupcake pan upside down on a baking sheet (it is helpful if you have 2 pans). Being careful not to crack the delicate crepe shells spoon the ice cream into seven or eight crepe taco shells. Place in between the cupcakes tins. Repeat until you have used all the ice cream. Place the pans in the freezer for at least two hours or over night.
- Before you take the tacos out of the freezer make the magic shell. Combine chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently until chocolate is almost melted. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove the tacos from the freezer and either dip or spoon the magic shell over the tacos. Immediately sprinkle (seriously, do it pretty fast) with sprinkles and let harden, about 2 minutes. Devour!
It’s taco time! Dessert taco time!