Cajun Shrimp Tacos with homemade Hard Taco Shell’s
So how do you guys feel about some shrimp?
Spicy, saucy Cajun shrimp…..tacos!
Because really tacos make everything just that much better.
Question. Sex and the City, did you guys watch it? Ah forget it, that is a stupid question. I know almost all of you probably watched it religiously and loved every minute of it.
Here is the thing. I have never seen an episode. Well at least a full one, I have seen a scene with Mr. Big where I am pretty sure Carrie was yelling at him. I guess I just never really jumped on the band wagon. I know, the horror. It never really interested me and honestly I do not watch much TV.I was reading one of my many magazines that I subscribe to that seem to pile up and not get read till a month later. Most are foodie magazines, but some of them throw in a little celeb talk. I was reading a story on Anna Sophia Rob and the Carries Dairies (the prequel to Sex and the City). This for some reason intrigued me, like it made me want to hunker down and watch the series from the beginning (I think it started January 15th). Maybe it is because I read that Anna was from Denver or maybe it was that her love interest is Austin Butler. Yeah, that was probably it. I’m pretty much a sucker for any show with drama and some romance (uh, Parenthood anyone).
Maybe if I start with the prequel it will get me pumped for the real Sex and The City. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend.
K, I feel better now.
Back to the Tacos? Cool.
I pretty much made the best shrimp Tacos. They are saucy, spicy and just bursting with flavor and the homemade hard taco shells add a nice crunch!
Oh, and did I mention it’s a quick cooker! Like 25-35 minutes and even shorter if you buy that super fancy (but way too expensive, for me anyway), super convenient already peeled shrimp!
Cajun Shrimp Tacos with homemade Hard Shell Tacos
Course: Main Course
These are saucy, spicy and just bursting with flavor and the homemade hard taco shells add a nice crunch!
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp peeled, deveined (preferably wild caught)
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced very thin
- 1 small orange bell pepper sliced very thin
- 1 ounce can fire roasted diced tomates 14
- 1 avocado diced for serving
- shredded cheddar cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a glass measuring cup or small bowl combine the oregano, thyme, basil, cayenne, creole seasoning, cajun seasoning, pepper and salt. Whisk to combine. Working with four tortillas at a time, microwave them for 1-2 minutes. Quickly rub with olive oil and sprinkle one side with the spice mixture. Just do a sprinkle, about 1/2 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoon, on each tortilla reserving the rest of the spice mixture for later. Place tortillas on a taco mold if you have one. If not, invert a regular-sized muffin tin. Fold the tortillas gently and prop up between the bottom of 4 muffin cups. Bake at 450ºF for 5-7 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and saute for 7-10 minutes, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the spice mix. Sauté until just beginning to turn opaque in center, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- To the same skillet add the bell pepper and saute about 5 minutes until slightly soft, but still crisp. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes and then add then add the shrimp back and toss well. Simmer one more minute and then remove from heat. Taste and add a teaspoon or so more of the spice mixture if desired.
- Fill the taco shells with the shrimp and peppers and top with cheddar cheese and avocado if desired.
Cajun Shrimp Tacos. They are kind of amazing.
Shared with: Inside BruCru Life, Lil Luna, Chef In Training, Buns In my Oven, Foodie Friday Friends, Tidy Mom, Taste and Tell, Cheerios and Lattes, Somewhat Simple, Mom and Timeout, I Heart Nap Time, Fine Craft Guide, The Country Cook