I used to not do stuff like this.
I used to not put my beloved summer fruit in a pot and cook it. No, I would have never done that!
I used to not put my beloved summer fruit with melty oozing cheese. Fruit and cheese? Say what?
I used to not do a lot of things.
A lot has changed. Speaking of change have I ever told how much I loath change. I hate it, fear it and just gosh darn do not want it to happen.
I’ll fight it till I just can’t possibly fight it anymore.
Well, things are changing over here. I am cooking my berries, putting them with cheese and totally embracing it!
Oh and falling madly and deeply in love with it.
No seriously, these toasts? They are life changing. I mean just SO good.
My tongue really could not believe it. It was like whoa. Whoa! Whoa!!
Honestly, I am not sure why I thought about putting blueberries in a savory little snack like this, but I am so glad I did. It’s kind of like a blueberry caprese, except I might even, well maybe, yeah, think it is better. I don’t know, don’t hold me to that. But my taste buds just really like this. For one, the sweet is all broken down and syrupy, and paired with the balsamic vinegar, it’s just crazy! Like crazy in the best way possible. Trust me you guys are going to want to dollop that stuff on everything once you try it. The possibilities are endless. Breakfast toast, pancakes, waffles, tortilla chips, crackers and oh my gosh GRILLED CHEESE!
Sorry, I can not seem to control my excitement. I told you, I love fruit.
I might be a little over excited today though.
See today I get to see Asher (my little sis everyone, not my daughter) after two very long weeks apart. I am beyond excited! I missed that little girl so much it’s crazy. Plus, I really NEED my trusty taste tester back. If something is good, it is “Tiegy, I LOVE this, just one more bite, PLEASE” and if something is just ok, it is “Tiegy, this is so grosse, I do not want ANY more.”
Yup, she’s good and I have missed the heck out her!
As she says, “best sisters for ever and ever”.
How could I not miss that?
Okay, so aside from the awesome blueberry basil balsamic goodness, there is also something else that makes these things killer…
Toasted whole grain baguette slices. YES, I know! Toasty bread!
Brush them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and then grill them or you can also cook them in the oven, but I much prefer the grill. Oh my gosh, grilled bread is my new favorite way to toast bread. For one, it does not heat up the kitchen, which I have a feeling a lot of you will like. Me? I could care less seeing as it was only forty-five degrees yesterday. Two? The crispiness is insane! So crisp and then they get those awesome grill marks that I love so much!
You all know I really do love those grill marks.
But wait, it gets better.
Melty delicious fresh mozzarella cheese.
See, I told you it was life changing.
Really though the best part is how easy these are. They come together in about twenty minutes (obviously, depending on how fast or slow you work) and require one pot, one small bowl and maybe a pan if you decide to use the oven instead of the grill.
Sounds pretty good to me.
Serve these as an appetizer, side dish, light lunch or heck I did them for dinner. Yeah, I did and no one was complaining.
Obviously, that means that boys were not around.
So what do you say? Dinner? Lunch? Snack?
Blueberry Basil Balsamic Mozzarella Crisps
Servings: 12 toasts
Calories Per Serving: 72 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon canned coconut milk or heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1/2 inch of a whole grain baguette sliced into 12 half thick slices
- salt and pepper for sprinkling
- fresh basil for garnish
View Recipe Comments
- Preheat your grill to high heat or preheat your oven to 400° degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the blueberries, honey, balsamic vinegar and the lemon juice over high heat, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and the blueberries burst, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil, set aside.
- While the blueberries cook mix together the mozzarella cheese, coconut milk or heavy cream and the 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a medium bowl. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill or toast the baguette slices in the oven on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes flip and top with a dollop of the cheese/milk/olive oil mixture and grill or bake until the cheese melts, about three minutes.
- Immediately top with the blueberries and a sprinkle of fresh basil and a grate of lemon zest if desired.
Just do it.